Coil Pack failed at 17.5k miles - Scion IA Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Coil Pack failed at 17.5k miles

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on here in a while but I wanted to update...

I have ~17,500 miles on my iA currently. This morning, the car threw a CEL so I took it to the dealership.

Just received a call from the dealership: my cylinder #1 showed a misfire and Toyota recommended to replace the coil pack.

Is this unusual for coils to fail this early?

2016 Stealth Scion iA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:52 PM

Definitely unusual. My fathers expedition has all 4 original coils with 495k on the truck. Usually they can be pushed past 150k, but should be replaced when a tune up is done (I think Toyota says 75k miles, pushed my Buick to 125k though)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 01:09 AM

The coil should actually be covered by warranty... Don't pay for a new one, if this dealer refuses to fix it under warranty I'd take it to another dealer if I were you...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 PM

That's ridiculous. How can they expect you to pay for something that failed, which can't be caused by driver error btw, when you're vehicle has only 17.5 miles on it. I would demand they fixed it or go above them
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So update: Dealership said the coil pack and fuel injector for cylinder #1 failed because of sludge build-up from bad fuel....

They goodwilled the coil pack and injector thankfully!!!

I'm struggling to understand how my car built up sludge already. I was going to seafoam it around 25k-30k miles but this is crazy early.

2016 Stealth Scion iA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:26 AM

There is no reason in heck you should need to seafoam your car so early ?! If you're using regular fuel, octane rating that is recommended from the manufacturer, there should be no reason for any of that to happen. I would go on a serious rant in that place man
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 PM

So would I... that's bs. And no, you definitely shouldn't need to seafoam the car already, you shouldn't have to for a long long time. That's not something that should be done regularly, I've seen it eat away at engines from people using it too much. I just put it in my fathers truck at 499k for the first time, and it barely effected the way the truck runs, just raised the mpg from 4.2 up to 4.9 mpg and gave it a little more power, but didn't help with the rough idle at all. Only use it if the car isn't running right and it's an issue the seafoam should fix, other than that I'd avoid it as long as possible.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:34 AM

Just curious was the car taken to the dealership for the oil changes and if not did you use the recommended 0W-20?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrap View Post
Just curious was the car taken to the dealership for the oil changes and if not did you use the recommended 0W-20?
I had the dealership do the scheduled maintenance along with oil changes every 5k miles.

2016 Stealth Scion iA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianrenae View Post
I had the dealership do the scheduled maintenance along with oil changes every 5k miles.
Yup, that just set it in stone. They have to cover that under warranty. Don't accept anything less

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page