Shifting when in manual mode - Scion IA Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Shifting when in manual mode

Hey, guys. I recently got an automatic Scion iA a few months ago, and so far I really like the car. I do, however, have a couple questions about shifting when in manual shift mode. According to the manual, the best times to shift are 15mph/2nd gear, 25mph/3rd gear, 40mph/4th gear, 45mph/5th gear, and 50mph/6th gear. Those are what are recommended to get the best mpg when driving in manual mode. But, when I take off in automatic then pop over to manual after only accelerating to about 35 or 40 mph, the current gear displayed is 6th gear. For those who drive in manual mode often, when do you usually shift, such as when driving on a 35mph road, and what is your top gear once you reach the posted speed limit? Second, how many miles are you able to get out of a full take, and how many weeks can you go between fill ups? I think I usually average around 350 miles/two weeks per tank, with an estimated range of around 384 miles when full. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 PM

I drive a lot my gas usually lasts about 3 days but its only 18 to fill up about a 10 gallon maybe 11 gallon tank i get around 390 miles before i fill up
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:20 AM

Haven't spent much time with the manual mode so can't really help you there. I fuel up weekly, approximately 8.5 gallons of fuel for about 350 miles of mixed driving. Doesn't seem to matter if doing 35mph or 80mph, this car still gets better than 40mpg.

James
2016 Scion iA, Automatic Transmission, Abyss in color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by will4958 View Post
Hey, guys. I recently got an automatic Scion iA a few months ago, and so far I really like the car. I do, however, have a couple questions about shifting when in manual shift mode. According to the manual, the best times to shift are 15mph/2nd gear, 25mph/3rd gear, 40mph/4th gear, 45mph/5th gear, and 50mph/6th gear. Those are what are recommended to get the best mpg when driving in manual mode. But, when I take off in automatic then pop over to manual after only accelerating to about 35 or 40 mph, the current gear displayed is 6th gear. For those who drive in manual mode often, when do you usually shift, such as when driving on a 35mph road, and what is your top gear once you reach the posted speed limit? Second, how many miles are you able to get out of a full take, and how many weeks can you go between fill ups? I think I usually average around 350 miles/two weeks per tank, with an estimated range of around 384 miles when full. Thanks in advance.
If you want the best MPG don't use manual, use AUTO. There's a reason why IT'S AUTO.

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
If you want the best MPG don't use manual, use AUTO. There's a reason why IT'S AUTO.
I realize that, but in all honesty, the only reason I went with the automatic model is because the stick version I wanted to get had to be shipped to the dealership, which would've cost more than the auto model. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to drive in manual mode, and if people are getting around 350 miles or so on a full tank, which is what I normally get (that's driving mostly in manual, by the way), it may not matter which mode you drive in.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will4958 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
I realize that, but in all honesty, the only reason I went with the automatic model is because the stick version I wanted to get had to be shipped to the dealership, which would've cost more than the auto model. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to drive in manual mode, and if people are getting around 350 miles or so on a full tank, which is what I normally get (that's driving mostly in manual, by the way), it may not matter which mode you drive in.
That's why I went with auto in my Mazda3 too, they only had manual 2.0's and I wanted a 2.5, but I also got better mpg in manual than in auto. The book says to shift at those times assuming that you're accelerating to highway speeds though, if you're maintaining speed at 45 mph it can go into 6th but you can't really accelerate much or efficiently in 6th gear under 60 mph.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 PM

I get 400ish with plus gas 380 regular (manual)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james98520 View Post
Haven't spent much time with the manual mode so can't really help you there. I fuel up weekly, approximately 8.5 gallons of fuel for about 350 miles of mixed driving. Doesn't seem to matter if doing 35mph or 80mph, this car still gets better than 40mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelinelife View Post
I get 400ish with plus gas 380 regular (manual)
I get 300ish with premium (93 octane) and 290ish with regular (87 octane) in a manual lol, but I don't drive for efficiency, I drive however I feel like driving and if it happens to be with the pedal on the floor then it happens to be with the pedal on the floor, I'd rather enjoy driving than watch my speed and let off the gas to get better gas mileage.
james98520 likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This may be a silly question, considering I've tried using the stuff before in my last car, but has anyone tried using E85 in their Scion yet? I'm pretty sure it's able to use it, but never really looked before because my last car, a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT, was able to use it, and my mpg was usually somewhat lower than when using 87 Regular. Just curious.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:39 PM

It says in the manual nothing more than 10% ethanol no e85

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page