Intermittent Noise While Stopped - Scion IA Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Intermittent Noise While Stopped

Well I've had a lot of cars over the years and I've never heard this noise before. 2016 Scion iA Auto, noise started a month ago with 49k on the ODO, still intermittent a month later with 51k on the ODO.

So here are the conditions. Car is stopped, brake is fully depressed, and is either in Drive or Reverse. Generally only happens right after the initial start of the car, but did hear it once after an hour drive as well. It's been both cold and warm and has happened. The only thing right now that sticks out is that it has been wet when it happened.

When I have the brake pedal pressed and in Drive, say at a stop light. There is a noise that I can only describe as a large single rock in a dryer. It's a rotational sound, but it's not consistent (random). The car will also lurch forward periodically when it makes this noise but not all the time. Once I release the brake the noise will immediately go away. And after driving for 10 minutes or so, when I stop again it won't make the noise. I've also gone days without hearing it.

Took the car into the dealership two weeks ago, but of course it wasn't doing it at that time. There were no ABS / AT lights so they refused to read for codes (said they wouldn't exist).

Also as a side note, periodically with no rhyme or reason. When stopped at a light at the engine is at 500 RPM's there is a strong vibration through the brake pedal and steering wheel.

Anyone else had either of these issues? I have a feeling they are related (almost like a bad torque converter). My biggest worry is it'll finally hard break after 60k and the warranty is up. Which won't be long since I drive 121 miles 5 days a week round-trip to work and can only offset that mileage in the FR-S when it's nice out .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 AM

Hey there,

I did notice strong vibrations felt through the brake petal only once in a while at stop lights... Vibrations only last for a couple seconds before it goes away..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonT123 View Post
Hey there,

I did notice strong vibrations felt through the brake petal only once in a while at stop lights... Vibrations only last for a couple seconds before it goes away..

That's how the problem originally started off. It doesn't do it all the time, but now it stays that way. My guess is dying torque converter, which of course at 56,000 miles it's due to go out in 4,001 miles

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM

I had the vibration while stopped but in drive issue so I waited for a warm day disconnected my battery for 15 mins reconnected it went for a 30 minute drive on the freeway got off the freeway and drove through the city for a bit keeping it in drive at all the stoplights the first couple stop lights it vibrated for like one second and went away but then it stopped doing it all together. it's been about a week now without vibration I think they just set the idle speed a tad low at the factory to save gas I'll post here again if the vibration comes back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:48 PM

My vibration came back the harmonic balancer looks fine motor/tranny mounts look fine air filters are new and theres no stored codes but I've come to find out that it's normal for 4 cylinder engines to vibrate at low rpm so I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse or a code pops up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in