Arm rest - Page 2 - Scion IA Forum
 13Likes

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
First the kit and how it goes together.
The small metal plate goes into the plastic part to the left of it, it is a bitch to get in. I had to use some force to get it in.
You will notice the armrest has an opening and there is something that should go in there, I would like to know what. It does not open in any way, no storage inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151022_105909.jpg
Views:	2406
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151022_110034.jpg
Views:	1756
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	602  

Last edited by Bundu; 10-22-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
To install:
First pop the rear part off the center console, it comes off easily. Cut out the two plastic pieces you see held by small tabs, this creates two holes for the bracket.
Remove the silver trim around the gear lever
Lift the handbrake and then pop the top off the center console, remove the small plastic insert you see at the handbrake opening and then slide the top console piece off the handbrake lever and put it one side.
Undo the 2 screws you see in the photo
You will see 2 x 10mm nuts through the holes you cut - undo them. 1/4" drive sockets with a long extension work well.
Undo the 12mm bolt on the rear of the handbrake bracket. A long 3/8" extension with a short wobble extension works well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151022_111323.jpg
Views:	1858
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	610  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Take the metal bracket you received in your kit and take a good look at how it is assembled - you are going to take it apart. The odd leg goes to the front and the 2 similar looking legs go to the back. Mark them left and right so you don't get them mixed up and then undo the 2 allen screws.
The 2 rear legs insert from the bottom of the console, so carefully lift the console and work the leg up and through the correct hole with the correct side up. Replace the 10mm nuts but do not tighten them up yet.
Now bolt in the front leg loosely.
Assemble the bracket.
Test fit the new plastic tower and check that everything lines up and the screw holes look good, then tighten up the rear legs first and then the front leg.
Replace the 2 screws you removed at the rear of the console.
Your bracket should look like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151022_115717.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	618  

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Replace the top of the console.
Add the new plastic tower - the bigger piece of plastic in the kit.
Add the smaller plastic part in the kit on top - by now you should have inserted the metal plate into the small plastic part. Look at how the holes line up.
There are 4 allen screws in the kit - I would suggest replacing the front 2 with bolts instead, they are difficult to fasten.
Start with the front 2 screws first and snug them down, then do the rear 2. Tighten them all up if everything looks good.
Add the armrest and bolt it on, then pop the round covers in the holes. They do not fit well.
You will be left with some mystery plastic parts - I guess they are for Mazda.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
In the photos the armrest appears a different color to the rest of the vehicle, but that is just sunshine reflecting giving it a grayer color.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM

Lighting might be it. If however this was a new armrest on a vehicle with far more miles on it without window tints, then a difference in color could be it.. since the sun tends to fade colors.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Jay

I tried out the OEM armrest in a Mazda CX-3, which is the crossover Mazda 2 / Scion iA so I assume it'd be the same one in our cars. This is just my impression but I wasn't impressed. It was kinda hard, and sat too far back to be comfortable (I'm 5'11, 160 lbs). When folded down for use, it covers up the cup holders. When I saw that an armrest of all things was an option, I thought it made no sense. However, after seeing it in person, now it does
jlhiowa likes this.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:55 AM

You tried putting the Mazda CX-3 OEM armrest into the Scion iA?
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've been using the arm rest for about a week now, the car is better with it than without it. Access to the volume control and the big knob is less than an issue than I thought it would be. Sure you have to flex your wrist to get it it, but how often do you need to? I don't use the cup holders, if I have a bottle of water then it goes in the door anyway.
jlhiowa likes this.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Don't suppose you can post a picture of it fully installed and down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page