Arm rest - Page 4 - Scion IA Forum
 13Likes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM

some tips on installation

Some additional tips for anyone else looking to install the armrest themselves:

I ordered the armrest on eBay for $170 (shipping included) and decided to install myself (dealerships quoted me $140-$160 for installation).

I primarily used the pdf directions downloaded from http colon slash slash scionpartspeople.scionofpuyallup.com/product/iA/2016/Comfort%20and%20Convenience/Center%20Armrest.

Once you get to the part where you're going to screw the bracket in, you'll find that the holes you've cut out (by removing the tabs) in the inner console aren't larger enough to even get the back legs in. Bundu solved this by disassembling the bracket, sticking the legs thru the bottom of the console and reassembling the bracket. I didn't have the right size allen wrench and thus couldn't take it apart. The pdf instructions tell you to enlarge the holes by scoring the plastic to the outer wall and pushing down, exposing the hex nuts. I found this impossible to do with a boxcutter. Instead I used a drill and a spade bit to weaken and poke holes in the plastic, then I chipped away at it with a screwdriver and boxcutter (so elegant). Then I put the bracket in and it fit thru the holes, but I couldn't get it over both screws at the base. So then I realized that I was going to have to chip away plastic toward the inside of the inner console (enlarge it the opposite way). This is what I ended up with: http colon slash slash i.imgur.com/jMGVzaN.jpg. Finally, the bracket's back legs fit thru the holes and over the screws.

Another thing to add: the spare plastic Bundu mentioned may have been the "inner shield and outer bushing" that go in the "upper adapter" part. The outer bushing doesn't fit well inside of the inner shield, so I taped it in place. Following the pdf, I also taped the inner shield to the adapter before adding the armrest and carriage bolt. I installed it the pdf's way and Bundu's way (without the inner shield and outer bushing) and I think it closed more smoothly and firmly with the inner shield and bushing.

I also agree with Bundu about maybe using bolts instead of the hex screws (the back ones) when affixing the upper adapter to the lower base. Again I didn't have the right allen wrench for these and I couldn't get them as tight as I would have liked and I think the upper adapter lifts a little when I use the armrest because I didn't get this that tight.

Just did this last night. I might report back in a bit with my experiences of the armrest. I'm not handy at all and know next to nothing about tools, so this took me about 5 hours (you may not have to watch youtube videos to figure out how torque wrenches work). Ask away if you want to know anything else or want advice on your own installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 PM

spare parts available

dealership broke mine when installing.. sent me a 2nd kit but won't be using all the parts. let me know if anybody needs spare parts off this assembly. u pay shipping. reply back for specifics
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Has anyone tried this armrest in a 2016 Scion iA?

ebay.com/itm/like/391897631546

It looks like they are showing the same console. If it would work, I think I like it better than the other flat flip down one and this one has some storage.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw1973 View Post
Has anyone tried this armrest in a 2016 Scion iA?

ebay.com/itm/like/391897631546

It looks like they are showing the same console. If it would work, I think I like it better than the other flat flip down one and this one has some storage.
Have you taken the plunge Jaw? If you did please so send some pictures and let us know how it is!
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHasagi View Post
Have you taken the plunge Jaw? If you did please so send some pictures and let us know how it is!
I have not. If I start looking into it and find something, I will let you know.
BenHasagi likes this.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM

I got from e-bay, i don't see 10 mm nuts under the plastic holes, also what tool i can use to undo them ?
BenHasagi likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
I did install this armrest year ago- it was pain in the ass, but worth it after all.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 AM

Has anyone tried the mazda 2 armrest? I've seen some cheap ones from aliexpress, like this one:

tinyurl.com/y8wpgdot
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM

I bought a $7 small, square sofa pillow at Walmart and stuff it where the armrest would be. Works well. Machine washable.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasaltadpole View Post
dealership broke mine when installing.. sent me a 2nd kit but won't be using all the parts. let me know if anybody needs spare parts off this assembly. u pay shipping. reply back for specifics
Hey, do you still have the spare parts? I broke mine, and needed one part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page