Winter Tires 2016 iA - Scion IA Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joelg1988

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Question Winter Tires 2016 iA

This is what I know -- 2016 Scion iA has a weird tire size. There are only a few all-weather tires made for this car in the standard size P185/60R16 and they can be a bit hard to find, but not impossible.

I also know that the iA doesn't have a TPMS system per se -- there's no TPMS unit in the tire relaying tire pressure to the car computer. Instead, the car uses the ABS system to check on the diameter of the tire to know when the tire needs more air (or, I've also read that the system can trigger if the tire is over inflated).

I want to add snow tires to my 2016 iA. The closest fit is P195/55R16. It's about a 1.2% difference, which is pretty negligible.

But what I don't know -- will the different sized snow tires work properly with the tire pressure system? my sense is that it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to drop a ton of money on new wheels and tires and not have it work with the scion's version of the TPMS system.

Thank you in advance!

This forum is pretty comprehensive. I tried using the google to find out this info but I couldn't find anything that got me all the way across the goal line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickined View Post
This is what I know -- 2016 Scion iA has a weird tire size. There are only a few all-weather tires made for this car in the standard size P185/60R16 and they can be a bit hard to find, but not impossible.

I also know that the iA doesn't have a TPMS system per se -- there's no TPMS unit in the tire relaying tire pressure to the car computer. Instead, the car uses the ABS system to check on the diameter of the tire to know when the tire needs more air (or, I've also read that the system can trigger if the tire is over inflated).

I want to add snow tires to my 2016 iA. The closest fit is P195/55R16. It's about a 1.2% difference, which is pretty negligible.

But what I don't know -- will the different sized snow tires work properly with the tire pressure system? my sense is that it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to drop a ton of money on new wheels and tires and not have it work with the scion's version of the TPMS system.

Thank you in advance!

This forum is pretty comprehensive. I tried using the google to find out this info but I couldn't find anything that got me all the way across the goal line.
Many other people here have changed to 195/55 or 205/55. Not winter tires, but regular all weather tires. If you read those threads, no one has complained about the tire pressure warning not reading the tires correctly. One thing I want to mention to you: Mazda and/or Toyota CHOSE to put 185/60 tires on purpose so you have to go to the dealership to get the tires (or tire if you have a flat). Our vehicles have standard 16x5.5 wheels that would fit many many tires and vehicles. They could have put 205/55 or 195/55, but CHOSE not to. Feel free to buy whatever fits your budget/needs. My automotive knowledge of several years can almost guarantee you the pressure monitor will function properly.
TorchMini likes this.

2017 Toyota Yaris IA - 6 speed manual - Sapphire
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:56 AM

You can also do what many of us do in the winter- downsize the rims to 15 inch and swap wheels for snow months. I bought four winter wheels with 195/60/15 Michelin IceX tires since I live in big snow/big pot hole country, and I plan to keep my Yaris for many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	5666  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
yes it will work just fine. I have 17x205x50 with lowered suspension. your wheels have no pressure sensor it has tire diameter sensors outside- any tires can be reset- there button for that- read the manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page