Toyota Has Killed Off Scion - Scion IA Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Toyota Has Killed Off Scion

Toyota is killing off Scion and transitioning the cars back under the Toyota badge. Itís been double checked by Jalopnik after they sent out a few emails and made some calls to Toyota for a confirmation.

Thatís right, there wonít be any more Scions after yours. All 2017 model year Scions (iM, iA, FR-S, and the C-HR concept model) will be rebadged as Toyotas except for the tC Coupe. If you want to get your hands on one, order soon because its production is set to end this August. As for servicing, just take your Scion to any of Toyota's service departments and they will continue to service your vehicle.

Why did Toyota kill off Scion you ask?

Because Scion sales have been slumping over the years. Sure they had a great run from 2005-2008 with yearly U.S. sales numbers of over 100,000 units and at the brandís height in 2006, 173,034 units were sold in the U.S. alone. But the momentum didnít last and the number dramatically decreased after 2008 to around half of what it used to be. Even with the new iA and iM model release, Scion was still seeing a decline year after year. Maybe Toyota was already preparing for this with the iA when it was launched last year in Canada as a Toyota Yaris.

What we do know is that Toyota achieved what it originally set out to do with Scion, attract younger buyers and use the Scion badge to fast track and test out ideas in the real world.

Will you miss Scion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:33 PM

In all honesty, I am not too upset by this. The pure pricing was kind of cool and refreshing purchase experience (I have had 2 friends buy Scions while I was with them, plus both my wife and I have both purchased one). It provided some of our better dealership experiences.

But in all honesty, the only reason I purchased the iA was because it is essentially a Mazda 2, which I can no longer get. Sorry folks that are Scion fans....
rwmorrey likes this.

2016 Scion iA (Smazda), Sterling Silver, 6-Spd Manual Transmission.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 PM

Same here. Woulda bought a Mazda 2 were it available. I'm interested to see what a Yaris specced out with all the options the iA has will end up costing.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM

Now it will make sense to rebadge future Toyota vehicles with Scion badges. It will be a vintage throwback type thing. A rarity.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Maybe our cars will become collectors items! I can picture my future sales ad...

"Rare numbers matching manual transmission 2016 Scion iA, only year of production!"
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 PM

I'm all right with it, too. The Scion dealer is about 400 miles west of me in Denver. But Lewis Toyota is right in town here! So it will be a lot more practical if I want to buy an iA of my own in the next couple of years. And Toyota will not just dump current Scion dealers, which is really cool.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Aren't all Scion dealers connected to Toyota dealerships?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 AM

Mountain States Scion in Denver looks ta be standalone but I can head over to their website and see if I can learn if there is a connection to a Toyota dealer. IIRC it's a separate Scion dealer.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:19 AM
Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty iA View Post
Mountain States Scion in Denver looks ta be standalone but I can head over to their website and see if I can learn if there is a connection to a Toyota dealer. IIRC it's a separate Scion dealer.
I'm actually surprised they would do that at all, only makes sense to pair it with a toyota dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page