Real World Gas Mileage - Page 14 - Scion IA Forum
 26Likes

post #131 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
Why is your car in the shop? To get 27 you are sure heavy footed or something else. I am driving my manual in traffic 65 percent of the time and get 40. Premium gas in a car does not require it it is wasting money. I only put regular 87, 85 in some states.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/remusrm
http://imgur.com/4TYeasD (pic is a little bit NSFL. Got rear ended by a Wrangler)

I've tried driving it as economically as I can, as in never flooring it and pressing on the pedal gently. It always ends up telling me I need gas when I've only driven it around 250 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idksomuch View Post
http://imgur.com/4TYeasD (pic is a little bit NSFL. Got rear ended by a Wrangler)

I've tried driving it as economically as I can, as in never flooring it and pressing on the pedal gently. It always ends up telling me I need gas when I've only driven it around 250 miles.
I got rear ended in my wife's car too, and only had 313 miles.
post #133 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Scion iA Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polmeh View Post
I'm at 385 miles on my first tank still. Computer says ~60 left.
I hit 405. then it went brrp...brrrp. dead!

Drove from Mississauga, ON to Jersey City, NJ. Also, a speeding ticket for doing 80 on 65. Was trying to keep up with the traffic.

post #134 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 PM

I decided to actually start measuring how much I got on a full tank a few weeks ago, so I fueled up it and drove it somewhat economically. I rarely revved past 2.5k rpm and I ended up getting 315 with some leftover. The next tank, I had to drive my room mate around cause his parents needed his car and he's pretty heavy so it weighed down my car, I got about 270-280. Currently at about half tank on my current run. I've gotten 160 miles so far with about 130 estimated left. I get nowhere near the 350 or 400 miles that everyone seems to be getting. Maybe I don't drive as economically as I thought.
post #135 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM

What kind of driving are you doing? City? Freeway? Mix?

How often are you braking? How fast do you go on the freeway?

I shift at 2k unless I need to speed up to merge onto the freeway. I'll shift at 3 or 3.5k then. Always leave space between the car in front of you and brake as little as possible. Shouldn't even need to use the brakes unless you need to come to a complete stop. I have the manual version, not sure how well the automatic manual mode works for efficient mpg.

Try to avoid speeding on the freeway even if everyone else is doing it. I find about 70 mph to be the split. If I go over my current drive average starts dropping. If I go under I am able to maintain or increase my mpg. I recently started using the cruise control to make sure I don't go over 70. I do like to speed but I'll never catch up to remusrm if I do.
post #136 of 140 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeez View Post
What kind of driving are you doing? City? Freeway? Mix?

How often are you braking? How fast do you go on the freeway?

I shift at 2k unless I need to speed up to merge onto the freeway. I'll shift at 3 or 3.5k then. Always leave space between the car in front of you and brake as little as possible. Shouldn't even need to use the brakes unless you need to come to a complete stop. I have the manual version, not sure how well the automatic manual mode works for efficient mpg.

Try to avoid speeding on the freeway even if everyone else is doing it. I find about 70 mph to be the split. If I go over my current drive average starts dropping. If I go under I am able to maintain or increase my mpg. I recently started using the cruise control to make sure I don't go over 70. I do like to speed but I'll never catch up to remusrm if I do.
I actually drive almost exclusively in the city. I'm currently living in a small-ish city with not too many people. I rarely coast because I'm not confident in my driving skills at the moment and I don't like coasting in general. I guess that affects my low gas mileage. I don't stay too close to cars in front of me because i hate, hate, HATE tailgaters with a passion. My earlier post in this thread includes a pic of my car when it was rear ended by a Wrangler. To be fair, I don't know if the wrangler was tailgating or not but it was raining so he may not have been able to brake in time. Either way, that's just reason to stay as far back from the car in front of you as possible.
post #137 of 140 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Update after 9 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Mac View Post
2nd fill up...

39.83 MPG

60% city
40% hwy

2017 Yaris iA Manual.

Question. What is the fuel tank size? It says 11.6 online but I only got 8.2 gallons on my first refill (two lines left) and 7.6 gallons on the second refill (3 lines left). Is this a 9 gallon tank?

41.5 MPG @15k miles

80% city/hwy traffic (Bay Area rush hours)
20% hwy

Love the fuel efficiency and handling but hate the 2nd gear slight grind and that it doesn't go back to neutral on its own when you push up on the shifter.
post #138 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM

I got 39.89 MPG on the first tank with my new. leftover '17. All city, stop & go and driven conservatively.

BTW, I LOVE this car!!! It's the only manual tranny model the dealer had, and he'd been sitting on it since last winter = killer deal! No manual tranny lovers (other than me) in the Denver/Boulder area, I guess.
post #139 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Just hit 1000 miles in my new 2017 iA automatic.
I'm getting around 40-45 mpg on my daily commute - 50% city/hwy with some stop and go traffic.
So far so good.
post #140 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
I'm almost at 25k in my manual Scion iA. I typically get around 40 average mpg. And that is with keeping the rpms around 4k when I shift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page