Real World Gas Mileage - Page 9 - Scion IA Forum
 26Likes

post #81 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsmith57 View Post
My second tank, still under the 600 mile break-in period, not using cruise and always varying my mph per owner's manual, got 40.89 mpg hand calculated. Even drove it 70 - 80 mph at times.
Yup, No surprise here... 4th tank 2075 miles and a whopping 46 +mpg hand calculated, a nice number. Easy driving that is....

Expect a few more with each tank as you break it in. But be Aware the AC will pull in down some. tmig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmig View Post
Yup, No surprise here... 4th tank 2075 miles and a whopping 46 +mpg hand calculated, a nice number. Easy driving that is....

Expect a few more with each tank as you break it in. But be Aware the AC will pull in down some. tmig
Hopefully I get at least 40 mpg here in SoCal traffic

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 AM

I paid close attention to the mpg these last few tanks because of the disappointing mpg reported by some owners.
I drive the 6speed manual and was consistently surprised with how good of an Mpg I ended up getting. To start tracking mpg I filled up my tank until the gas filler hose stopped 3 times (hope that makes sense).
The last 3 tanks were at 46.4 /48.1/48.0 mpg
Last tank I went 464.3 miles with two bars left on the gas gauge and the tank only took 9.67 gallons.

I used the cruise control whenever I could on the hwy. Because there is so much traffic on my way to and back from work traffic is mostly going at 55-65, the way back is even slower.
I noticed that going above 67 and the mpg will drop dramatically to the higher 30s/lower 40s.
There is hardly any incline/decline in Michigan so I drive on flat land.
I've only scarcely used the ac as the car is parked in a covered parking lot during the day and it only gets hot in the cockpit when I'm almost home. I drive a little over 50miles round trip from and to work:
60% of the drive is hwy/40% city.

I thought the tank capacity was 11.6 and I always refill when the light comes on and my DTE displays around 35 miles left but the car has never taken more than 9.8 gallons...??? Is the tank capacity really 11.6? If so, then the DTE doesn't take into account the reserve and I could go another 100 miles easily??? Thoughts on this?

post #84 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM

My average since I got the car 2344 miles ago is 34.5 mpg (according to fuelly) and I drive probably 60% highway 40% city (but usually light traffic in city driving, just lots of red lights) and I run premium (92-93 octane), I always have the a/c on (unless I need extra power, then I'll temporarily shut it off), I ignore the shift light, and I'm very heavy on the gas most of the time. Very impressed, with how I drive the Cruze Eco 6MT got 31 mpg (cousins car), my old accord got 19 mpg (f22a1/5 speed), and my bf's BMW gets like 20-22 mpg if I'm not on the highway (2014 335i 6 speed, I tend to drive slower in that though, it's got enough power to be light on the gas. Lowest was 14 mpg)
post #85 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 PM

I've been averaging over 40 on the stock tires through this summer (rarely use AC); I got around 36 on my snow tires through the winter
post #86 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 AM

So my last tank I got 38 mpg! That's still being pretty heavy on the gas, but with the windows down instead of the a/c on which I guess helped a lot, so if you don't mind heat I'd think you could probably do upwards of 45 mpg easily if you were more fuel conscious than I am just driving around town.
scionic likes this.
post #87 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc422 View Post
So my last tank I got 38 mpg! That's still being pretty heavy on the gas, but with the windows down instead of the a/c on which I guess helped a lot, so if you don't mind heat I'd think you could probably do upwards of 45 mpg easily if you were more fuel conscious than I am just driving around town.
That's quite impressive since some people would even kill for 30MPG's! and even just breaking into the 30 range for some would be good enough.

Hopefully Toyota has plans to fit a hybrid powertrain in the iA to turn it into an affordable high range vehicle

post #88 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:50 PM

I am averaging just under 42 mpg in 5 fill-ups. I switched to a K&N filter this week and it looks like I will gain about 2 MPG. I will post additional info with each fill-up.
post #89 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scionic View Post
That's quite impressive since some people would even kill for 30MPG's! and even just breaking into the 30 range for some would be good enough.

Hopefully Toyota has plans to fit a hybrid powertrain in the iA to turn it into an affordable high range vehicle
I love the mpg but I'm starting to miss my 450 hp V8 more and more everyday, I'm considering buying a second car as a project... Like an old Luv or maybe a little C10 stepside that I can cram a big block into and slam to the ground for some fun with the bf on the weekends... but 30+ mpg is reasonable for my daily 250+ miles of driving (I fill up on my way home every night lol, I think I just hit 5k miles and I left it home/at the dealer for repairs for 2 of the 4.5 weeks I've owned it)
post #90 of 140 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scionic View Post

You mean you hope MAZDA.

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page