Scion iA Get Top Safety Pick Plus Safety Rating from IIHS [video] - Scion IA Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Scion iA Get Top Safety Pick Plus Safety Rating from IIHS [video]

The IIHS has tested the Scion iA, and its great news, it received a Top Safety Pick Plus Safety Rating.

Passengers were properly restrained, the airbag opened at the right time, and performed well in the moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests.

Quote:
"Although many vehicles now have front crash prevention as an option, it is still relatively rare to have the technology standard and unprecedented for a vehicle as inexpensive as the iA. Toyota is one of 10 manufacturers that have committed to making automatic emergency braking standard on all models. IIHS and NHTSA are working with automakers to flesh out the details of the commitment, which was announced last week," the IIHS reports.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Even before seeing or hearing about official safety information I was quite confident in its safety since just about all vehicles from toyota these days are really safe. But for the most part it comes down to how you drive, especially when it comes to those frontal tests.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM

My main concern is the cabin breach in the leg well area. Don't want my legs crushed in a crash.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm just super happy that it has the auto braking. It saves lives, and I am of the belief that you shouldn't have to spend way more money just to have a vehicle that is safer. Safety shouldn't discriminate based on how much money you have.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
I'm just super happy that it has the auto braking. It saves lives, and I am of the belief that you shouldn't have to spend way more money just to have a vehicle that is safer. Safety shouldn't discriminate based on how much money you have.
More often is it's going to save your wallet since it does take quite a powerful impact to end a life.

It's just too bad that insurance probably won't give us a discount because of it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionic View Post
More often is it's going to save your wallet since it does take quite a powerful impact to end a life.

It's just too bad that insurance probably won't give us a discount because of it.
Insurance might be a bit cheaper because of it depending on exactly what vehicle it is.

It is true that more often than not its damage to the vehicle than people, but even if its not lives lost, it could be injuries avoided, and that is also a great thing to avoid.

If every car on the road was equipped with such a system, I am curious as to how much crashes would be reduced.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Moe

What ever amount it`s going to be cheaper by, it won`t be much, not nearly as much as other factors that factor into your insurance rate.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
As vehicles become more and more autonomous what will happen with the insurance industry. They won't be able to say it was the driver's fault as often, or at all at the terminus point of this autonomous driving trail. Does it start to be automakers who get fined and charged in car crashes? They at least wouldn't be able to charge the driver based on their characteristics. Maybe they could still charge differently based on the vehicle. It would change things up quite a bit though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page