Scion iA ECM Tuning Possibilities - Page 12 - Scion IA Forum
 20Likes

post #111 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:12 AM

I don't know about letting off the gas, and I have an automatic so your experience might differ, but unless you plan on doing intake and exhaust mods, the tune isn't really worth it. All I did was add a cold air intake, no exhaust, and there's **** near no difference whatsoever. It might have eliminated the throttle lag but I really don't notice a difference, and it's just putting in premium gas for next to nothing. On the other hand, there's a iA FB group and the admin of the group installed the AEM cold air intake, a custom exhaust, a few other small things and with the tune, he was getting 120hp (an increase from 90hp stock) all dyno'ed and everything. He's actively trying to make the iA faster and working closely with someone on a turbo for the engine. So unless you plan on going all in, all you're doing is paying $500 for very little. Again, my experience is with an automatic, no idea about manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

That sounds a bit disappointing. The OVT website claims an 8-16hp increase, and the tuner who handles Mazdas now (Raphael) told me that the engine would be more responsive, so I would hope that those (admittedly modest) improvements could be felt. I guess I'll think this over some more and maybe wait for some others to relay their thoughts.

Is the iA FB group "iA Society" or is there another one I should be joining? I'd love to hear how that one person got a 30% increase in horsepower! That would completely transform this car.
post #113 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydarko View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

That sounds a bit disappointing. The OVT website claims an 8-16hp increase, and the tuner who handles Mazdas now (Raphael) told me that the engine would be more responsive, so I would hope that those (admittedly modest) improvements could be felt. I guess I'll think this over some more and maybe wait for some others to relay their thoughts.

Is the iA FB group "iA Society" or is there another one I should be joining? I'd love to hear how that one person got a 30% increase in horsepower! That would completely transform this car.
Yeah, iA Society is the one! And look for Gary Lamour, he's the bad ass that's doing crazy things.

As for the tune, I don't know if it's just placebo, but after I got the tune, I swear the transmission downshifts faster when I press on the accelerator while cruising. 8-16hp isn't much tbh, even if it is a 10-15% increase in power compared to our engines, but the car already makes so little horsepower. Actual power is closer to 80 or 90 than the official rating of 106. You should probably try to get other owners' experience on the tune though, such as the members in the FB Group, before you make your decision. I don't feel a difference, but maybe the people there will let you know what to actually feel for, since I'm not exactly an expert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page