Android Auto and Apple Car Play - Scion IA Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jin

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Jin

(Thread Starter)
Android Auto and Apple Car Play

Hopefully it comes to our system as well but here's the latest update from the Mazda3 forum.

Posted - May 10, 2016

Here's a slightly different reply I received from them on April 9th of this year:

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center. Apple Carplay and Android Auto is definitely a priority for Mazda North American Operations. Our engineers and technical team advised that they are working hard to add these features and make them compatible for our vehicles. I apologize but there is currently no ETA or time table on when these features will be available. However I have documented your feedback and it will get review internally. I am positive that we have not abandoned our pursuit to add these features.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below.

Sincerely,
Calvin
Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1175"
richard_rsp likes this.

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:08 PM

That's pretty cool. I actually want to try out android auto/car play on the iA.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Jin

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray09 View Post
That's pretty cool. I actually want to try out android auto/car play on the iA.
Android Auto would be great because the GPS (I haven't brought it) doesn't have data so doesn't take in consideration of traffic - which is extremely important in LA area ><

Mazda 2 | Scion iA | Toyota Yaris | 2016

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM

CarPlay/Android Auto installed

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and a new Yaris iA owner.

I noticed there have not been any updates to this thread, please direct me to an alternative if available.

Today I finished up my Apple CarPlay/Android Auto install, I thought I would share some of the key points in hope that it could benefit others.

I initially started down this path because I was experiencing tuner(unable to tune and default to beginning of the band) and audio issues(erratic volume, balance, fade, and attenuation control) Through this and Mazda forums I narrowed down my issue to a faulty TAU (Tuner Amplifier Unit). Found it behind the glovebox on the right, retrieved numbers off of it and visited car-parts dot com and searched for 'radio' or 'amplifier' and purchased one for $110. Installation was challenging, very tight area with the HVAC assembly hindering access. After installation it fixed my audio issues. (You can send your TAU to: United Radio for free analysis and for fee repair)

What preceded above was installation of the AiO tweaks, which went smoothly. The audio issues started about a month after the tweaks were applied, so I uninstalled them with no audio improvement(My thought is that this issue plagued the last two previous owners and Toyota couldn't fix the issue... Mazda in a Toyota dealer!). Next I updated the firmware to Mazda (Version: 70.00.335C), still no luck with my audio issues... and my nav card was now invalid.

Found an eBay Mazda nav card for $35 and I have my nav back.

Purchased the AirPlay/Auto USB hub & cable kit (Kit# 0000-8F-Z34) from Werner Mazda (N.H.) on eBay (wernermazdaparts) for $146. Installation was fairly easy. First install Mazda firmware (V70.00.021B or higher) **WARNING- This will turn your Yaris iA into a Mazda** (i.e. boot graphics are now the Mazda badge with red themed UI, everything else is fine) Firmware here: https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware
Make sure you verify your download checksum before install.

Installation of the kit required removal of the touch screen/CMU (Linux computer) unit from the top of the dash (two trim pieces, two 10mm head bolts, and gently pop it up from the dash-two snap clips under the screen). Remove the old USB hub by drilling through the face of the unit to break off the retaining clips:
"Mazda CarPlay/Android Auto Install Hack" on YouTube.

Remove the glovebox and then feed the two new cables down from the touch screen/CMU (insure that the terminal plugs are correctly oriented... The old four terminal cable from the CMU to the USB hub is not used, I left it in place within the vehicle) to the USB hub. I bundled the extra cable in a 6-8" loop, secured it with four of the included tye wraps, and then covered it with foam (also provided) and stuffed it behind the CMU. Covered the cable run to the USB hub with foam as well.

I would recommend checking the correct operation of CarPlay or Auto before snapping the USB hub into the dash and bolting the touch screen/CMU back in.

Reassemble and enjoy!

Cheers!

Rob
Mazota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page