Best mpg - Page 3 - Scion IA Forum
 2Likes

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM

It has been a years long process of staring at a Scanguage-II on many other vehicles to find what driving for optimal efficiency is. But once you get it, it becomes a habit.
~55mpg is more typical for me over short runs at an average of 60mph.

The enemy of even better fuel economy in this car is..
1) the car has a huge oil capacity and thus it takes an extended period of time for the oil to warm up and transition to the lowest level of friction possible.. easily solved with a partial grill block during winter.
2) the extreme rev-hang built into the ECU for the manual transmission model..
3) the shift indicator on the dash will mislead an unknowing driver into selecting a non-optimal gear with higher levels of friction and pumping losses that are not necessary.. the car actually likes being lugged at low rpm.. i shift into 6th gear in the city at 40mph. Always drive in the lowest gear you can get away with.
4) Underbody panels present in larger cars such as the Mazda 3 and Prius are missing here.
5) As you can see from the picture, the fuel economy is not measured beyond 70mpg. My scanguage II is in my wife's car to help her hypermile her small SUV. Plan to order another scanguage to verify the accuracy of the stock MPG meter.

I will do a video on my personal youtube channel detailing exactly how to drive this car for optimal fuel economy later on. In the meantime, here's a video of my old Honda Insight hypermiling at high speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 05:30 PM

For years I've been driving a 2002 Saturn SL and discovered that I got better mileage running non-ethanol fuel almost by chance. Tested a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke then never put ethanol in my tank again. I was told it only worked because the car was so old that it wasn't designed to burn ethanol. Turns out that's bullshit.

I just bought a 2017 iA a few weeks back and got 38 mpg on the first tank of whatever cheap gas the dealer filled it with driving the same way I always do. At the next fill-up Put 8 gallons of real gas in it and the mileage jumped 44 mpg and that was only 2/3rds of the tank so there was still ethanol in the mix.

Three tanks later I am consistently getting 47 mpg burning real gas. It's cheaper per mile even though the gas costs more per gallon and I don't even have to drive slow or tailgate a semi.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazIonOta owner View Post
For years I've been driving a 2002 Saturn SL and discovered that I got better mileage running non-ethanol fuel almost by chance. Tested a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke then never put ethanol in my tank again. I was told it only worked because the car was so old that it wasn't designed to burn ethanol. Turns out that's bullshit.

I just bought a 2017 iA a few weeks back and got 38 mpg on the first tank of whatever cheap gas the dealer filled it with driving the same way I always do. At the next fill-up Put 8 gallons of real gas in it and the mileage jumped 44 mpg and that was only 2/3rds of the tank so there was still ethanol in the mix.

Three tanks later I am consistently getting 47 mpg burning real gas. It's cheaper per mile even though the gas costs more per gallon and I don't even have to drive slow or tailgate a semi.

What do you mean by "real gas"? Higher octane?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page