Water in trunk...anyone else? - Scion IA Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Water in trunk...anyone else?

I just picked up a clean 2016 IA with 20k miles Monday night. Straight body and like new interior. Mechanically it is very smooth. Getting 40+ mpg and I can't complain...however, it's raining here in NorCal and Tuesday afternoon, I popped the trunk to find the carpet soaked mostly in the rear corners and about an inch of water pooled in the spare tire compartment. The trunk weather seal looks new and there is absolutely no dirt, debris or build up around it. I inspected the seal later in the day and found no rips, holes or areas where water could get through. The second area I checked was the taillights. Very common in cars to get water seeping through the taillight gasket/grommet. At 20k and 3 years old, there shouldn't be a problem. Inspected by pulling interior corner covers and found the taillight housing and grommets bone dry. I started to look around as much as I could at the interior quarter panels through the taillight cover openings and found water trails coming from above the gas cap/housing inside the quarter panel. If you look at the exterior quarter panel, the only way water could seep from above the gas cap/housing area is through an open/cracked seam under the rear window/windshield on the side or corners where you can't visibly see under the seal. Another possible entry is the gas cap/housing itself. There are seams inside that look sealed, but not positive. But, the water trails coming from above the gas cap/housing on the inside of the quarter panel points to a leak above that.

Has anyone experienced this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Scion IA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page