Scion IA Forum banner

Modder Thread... For Those That Like 2 Play

52K views 106 replies 16 participants last post by  honegod 
#1 ·

So,
Some of us picked up our iA's due to it being a Mazda 2 Sedan with a Toyota badge. Maybe the ratings, maybe the hints of MX-5 meets Sub-Compact Sedan. Either way, it is low-weight and has enough to inspire some play.
But, the true fun starts when you start to customize it... and enhance what elements you want out of it.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it >:)

Since performance parts and tuning has been so scattered throughout the forum... I wanted to start a thread for those of us that mod & customize. That like to play.

What is your build?
What are your recommendations?
What good / bad feedback do you have on mods?

And please, be nice 0:)
We all have our own concepts & inspirations.
This is not about competition, it's appreciation, and ideas.

#6 ·
I replaced with the venom HIDs that required a ballast. They were pretty much plug and play. The hardest part I had was on the driver side headlight... it's a tight space and you can only get one hand in there without removing other components. I believe the led installation is about the same outside of any variances by how the wiring exits the enclosure. Do you have pics or a model number I can reference?

#7 ·
My initial post never showed up so I'm going to list what I've done on my build:
AEM intake (thanks to the members here for mentioning it!)
Magnaflow 15555 cat back exhaust aka muffler(for Mazda 2) *required mild welding to adjust fit
OrangeVirus Tuning (their reputation backs their work)
LED running light enclosed strips (fit perfect into grill w/o any adhesive or drilling)
Iceberg blue 8k Xenon headlights
Custom adjustable headlight LED Backlights (bored out and installed within fixtures)
Blue led grill lights
Universal bare roof luggage rack (for the kayaks)
Curt hitch receiver (for the bikes)
Vinyl body styling and custom iA logo
That's about it, lol.

#10 ·
So I have a nice bit of info for anyone seeking a rear sway bar. DDMWorks has a nicely built Mazda 2 sway bar for around $100. I researched it and it took very mild adapting to install. Since we have a beam without any holes, rather then simply boring out the hole per instructions... all I did was predrilled the holes first using the sway bar as a guide for location. Start with your muffler side first for easiest installation. Next, the bolts they currently supply you with will be slightly short. Our beam is thicker (or this is due to me locating the holes on the thickest point in mid arch). So I upgraded the bolts with an additional 2" to play it safe. That's it. It is solid and I feel the improvement on understeer and body roll immediately! I'm posting pics to my profile after this post. Hopefully soon we may see the sway bar directly sold for the iA by DDMWorks! It's the best $100 bolt on mod you can do to give your car a better feel in the curves.

Attachments

#11 ·
I have put on 195/50/16 tires and lowered my gear ratio with the smaller diameter tires. This has helped my of the line speed and my handling. This thing goes like a miata with these summer tires on. My speedo is off 3 mph and my gas mileage is a little bit lower but it is worth while mode. These tires fit the OEM rims. I like my Dunlap Direzza's and they seem to be holding up well. I feel the iA is geared to high for gas mileage and you get a good dose of sportyness with the low profile tires. Ride is firmer. Carves corners like a sports car.

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi, I have a 2018 Mazda 2 with the AEM intake, I would like to know if the OV tuning improves performance and what is the process of this tune
is it like the Accessport for the Mazdaspeed can you install it your self or do you have to take the car to them for tuning ?
Has anyone done a dyno before and after??

#15 ·
For the OV tuning after you purchase the kit you receive software and the connection port. You take multiple data pulls underspecified sets and send off for calibration and you go back and forth four to five times until you receive a final product. It definitely has made a difference even more so after I had the AEM intake all set up and had my calibration retuned.

#17 ·
I have noticed a little less low end torque, but come 3800-4000 RPM it hits a powerband and wakes up all the way to redline. I have smaller than stock tires and lowering springs as well and it really has made this little car so much fun! Where are you located, if we aren't too far away from each other you are more than welcome to come drive it!

#23 ·
The OV tune enhances your low end performance amongst other things. Like if you want to help your car perform properly with the new intake.
Personally i researched about the tuning before ordering one. I read that persons post back from 2 years ago claiming to file a lawsuit. After researching enough the facts speak for themselves. So i did it and love it.

#25 ·
Thanks, sorry i have not been on here much. Just finished putting the enkei compes on yesterday. Ive mostly shared on the m2o FB community or Matsuda Society. Here is where i am currently at on my build.

Attachments

#26 ·
Good for you! Did you run independent DYNO? I don't' think so- me neader, but I'm going to soon. How ever I don't trust some kids remotely messing with my car CPU- from their basement :). I put in cold air and replaced stock muffler with glasspack- with premium gas 1.5 liter skyactiv very happy- spins wheels in second gear with manual, so torgue is plenty. Amazingly fuel economy still the same 33 mpg- I drive it hard. Funny think is when I drive it like pensioner- it still about the same. So $500 for some kid in the basement for nothing? There is no independent confirmation that they can improve anything! By the way I did contact then and ask if I can come over for tuning- response was- we are in secret private location and working only by special appointment- yeah right :)

#27 ·
2016 scion iA- I put in
17' momo with 205x17x45 Federal summer tires
tanabe coils
cold air
modified exhaust- glasspack ant tip with resonator (sounds great)
armrest
LED driving bulbs with switch back turn signals
philips HID's
thinking about sway bars and waiting for warm weather to instal rear spoiler

#41 ·
Do you have pics with your wheels/tires? this is about the size I was thinking about going. Wondering if they are pretty flush with the wheel well. Also, how dow it drive and handle? I assume the the ride cant get much worse than the stock toyos.

#29 · (Edited)
obviously you are RICER and car looks molested, pathetic and very sad and funny at the same time! brilliant!- add more stickers then it will go faster. Do you have hillbillies car tuning annual carnival in tennessee? I would like make funny channel on youtube- we can make some money from advertising ;) people like funny videos about ********, so it might be good opportunity!

#30 ·
I wouldnt say ricer... def going for actual performance gains. The teeth and ricey stuff are strictly for the humor of it. Lile seriously its face and the fact that its blue. Lmao something had to be done.
I have vinyl for all the companies i support.
I also get the independent dyno, i dont trust myself enough to do that. I also did not have the mazdaedit software, nor a obd2 device with editing abilities. So their price included both which was reasonable to me.
I agree about the suspension, but i live in rural areas so this likely will be as low as i take it. I wanted more offroad build, as much as you can get from a non-awd car (another feature they didnt offer in the US toyota badged model).
That was also a large deciding factor in wheels. Going wider for more forward grip while losing a few more pounds per wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.