Scion IA Forum banner

Best mpg

14K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  aliazam 
#1 ·
Just for fun!!!

45.7 mpg

Can anyone beat that number

#11 ·
I've only been averaging 29 on this tank according to the computer. Lot of city driving though...And some spirited driving. I've been meaning to figure gas mileage at a fill up but I don't remember to write down the mileage since there's no tripometer (that I can tell).

#18 ·
About 51 highest, most constantly see about 42-44 with lion's share on the freeway. My commute is 54 miles each way, with the trip home often in significant stop and go.

#19 ·
69.5mpg doing 60 consistently with a little semi truck following action.
Usual 60mph runs with the AC off ( in the far right lane of course ) result in mid 50's - low 60's.

One day i want to crack 70, but it's easier said than done.
Oh yeah, my car is a manual and i've been hypermiling various cars for 13 years.

City driving fuel economy is much lower - in the 30's-40's, hence the lower average.

Attachments

#20 ·
69.5 mpg is unreal...I don't think I will ever see these numbers with my driving habits.
The most I think I've ever seen is 55 mpg under ideal driving conditions that includes 70 degree outside temperature and predominantly highway driving at 55-60 mph.
As I mentioned in my other post, the gas mileage drops significantly when the outside temperature is below freezing. Like 5-10 mpg lower than the average. I'm still averaging 42 mpg overall and I'm quite happy with that.

#21 ·
It has been a years long process of staring at a Scanguage-II on many other vehicles to find what driving for optimal efficiency is. But once you get it, it becomes a habit.
~55mpg is more typical for me over short runs at an average of 60mph.

The enemy of even better fuel economy in this car is..
1) the car has a huge oil capacity and thus it takes an extended period of time for the oil to warm up and transition to the lowest level of friction possible.. easily solved with a partial grill block during winter.
2) the extreme rev-hang built into the ECU for the manual transmission model..
3) the shift indicator on the dash will mislead an unknowing driver into selecting a non-optimal gear with higher levels of friction and pumping losses that are not necessary.. the car actually likes being lugged at low rpm.. i shift into 6th gear in the city at 40mph. Always drive in the lowest gear you can get away with.
4) Underbody panels present in larger cars such as the Mazda 3 and Prius are missing here.
5) As you can see from the picture, the fuel economy is not measured beyond 70mpg. My scanguage II is in my wife's car to help her hypermile her small SUV. Plan to order another scanguage to verify the accuracy of the stock MPG meter.

I will do a video on my personal youtube channel detailing exactly how to drive this car for optimal fuel economy later on. In the meantime, here's a video of my old Honda Insight hypermiling at high speed.

#22 ·
For years I've been driving a 2002 Saturn SL and discovered that I got better mileage running non-ethanol fuel almost by chance. Tested a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke then never put ethanol in my tank again. I was told it only worked because the car was so old that it wasn't designed to burn ethanol. Turns out that's bullshit.

I just bought a 2017 iA a few weeks back and got 38 mpg on the first tank of whatever cheap gas the dealer filled it with driving the same way I always do. At the next fill-up Put 8 gallons of real gas in it and the mileage jumped 44 mpg and that was only 2/3rds of the tank so there was still ethanol in the mix.

Three tanks later I am consistently getting 47 mpg burning real gas. It's cheaper per mile even though the gas costs more per gallon and I don't even have to drive slow or tailgate a semi.

#23 ·
For years I've been driving a 2002 Saturn SL and discovered that I got better mileage running non-ethanol fuel almost by chance. Tested a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke then never put ethanol in my tank again. I was told it only worked because the car was so old that it wasn't designed to burn ethanol. Turns out that's bullshit.

I just bought a 2017 iA a few weeks back and got 38 mpg on the first tank of whatever cheap gas the dealer filled it with driving the same way I always do. At the next fill-up Put 8 gallons of real gas in it and the mileage jumped 44 mpg and that was only 2/3rds of the tank so there was still ethanol in the mix.

Three tanks later I am consistently getting 47 mpg burning real gas. It's cheaper per mile even though the gas costs more per gallon and I don't even have to drive slow or tailgate a semi.

What do you mean by "real gas"? Higher octane?

#26 ·
Great Blog with very good posts
Sterling rent a car is based in Dubai and provides the least expensive hire car and rental services throughout the UAE.
We’ve got the proper aim to serve each the regional market and therefore the foreign traveler and also provide the
foremost powerful and price spectacular services, though sustaining the best quality standards.
We all know the resilience of our purchaser’s urgency & relinquishing a good vary of
self-activating cars for our shopper so that they might go all over they need to travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.