Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the hood of my 2016 Scion iA yesterday and noticed some corrosion on the negative terminal, and a dried yellow material near the vent caps at the center of the battery. I am inexperienced with car maintenance, and but I have been looking into the baking soda solutions to remove corrosion from the posts. I am not so worried about this, but I am concerned about the dried yellow material. My car friend mentioned it might be from vapors or leakage. I am not sure how to clean this which is my first question - I know I will need rubber gloves.

The second thing I want to know is, how serious is this leakage issue? Is this worth replacing the battery over? I have heard others on this forum say the 2016 Scion iA batteries are garbage, and need to be replace at 50k which is right where I am at. Can someone back this up with an article or experience?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had same issue. For me the battery terminals were loose..

I cleaned with baking soda and gloves
I found it easier to remove the battery to clean.

Becareful. Is heavier than it looks. Especially since we are reaching over.

As for replacing. Your choice truly. Look up how to test whether battery is good or not..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can confirm. 2016 Scion iA (manual). about 54k miles now. Had to have it replaced around last late-summer, early-fall at almost exactly 47,250 miles.

Don't know if a new battery will fix it for longer than 50k, will find out and let you know. But I'd say just replace it.

As a side note, I also hate the key fob batteries. Had my main replaced twice and my spare as well just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2017 Yaris also had the same exact issue, when I took it to the dealer for one of it's free oil changes, I told them about it, and they replaced it for me free of charge. Thankfully it was still within the 2 years of coverage. So far, the replacement has not had the same issue, and it's been installed for longer than the first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts