Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on Scion's own blog and I thought it may help members decide between the iM and the iA.

Time keeps on tickin’ and we can’t wait to unleash our new 2016 Scion iA and iM models into dealerships starting September 1st. While both cars rock four doors, they’re two totally different cars and will appeal to many types of personalities, including yours. Last week we highlighted 5 reasons why a hatchback might be for you with the iM—this week we’ll take a look at 5 reasons why a sedan might be for you, using the iA sedan.

Variety/Availability
Comparatively speaking, sedans simply outnumber the amount of hatchbacks on the market, giving you plenty of options when it comes to finding a car you like. What’s more is, once you start diving into the used car market, both variety and availability take on a whole new life.

Privacy
Not all hatchbacks have cargo covers and as a result may leave your valuables exposed to direct sunlight or to passerby. The Scion iA is equipped with a locking trunk that helps keep your belongings private and can protect them from direct sunlight. On events where you need to transport larger items and are needing the space a hatchback can provide, the 60/40 splitting rear seats can be folded to increase the overall cargo capacity.

Price
Whether you’re in the market for something economical or at the extreme end of luxury, there’s a sedan to fill those needs. Good thing the iA comes in at a very affordable entry price of $16,495 (MSRP) with plenty of standard premium features like 7” touch screen audio, Backup camera, push button start and more.

Engines/Fuel Economy
Just as there is a wide selection of sedans at varying price points, the same can be said for power output and fuel economy. The iA is fun to drive and offers an EPA-estimated 42 (hwy)/37 (combined) mpg.

Looks
Sometimes it all comes down to looks, and you’re either into a hatchback or a sedan. The iA features a very aggressive front end design, 16” alloys and power side mirrors, in addition to plenty of other standard features.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fuel economy is the biggest takeaway for me, followed by price then by features. Looks, while important is a bonus for me since the iA looks good.

Overall a well rounded product that should do well, i'll be surprised if it doesn't.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, privacy isn't a big concern when compared to the other 4. Also not too sure about variety since both comes with a single trim type package. I would still prefer the iA over the iM because it has a sportier look.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I mean, I don't see how variety is really a benefit for the Scion iA. Maybe you could argue that for the whole sedan segment, but I don't think variety really makes any one sedan better. Don't really see the logic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Agreed, privacy isn't a big concern when compared to the other 4. Also not too sure about variety since both comes with a single trim type package. I would still prefer the iA over the iM because it has a sportier look.
Good move to make if space is not an issue, and I can see that crossover being the case since there are those folks that just like the look of a hatch. '

·
Registered
422 Posts
Having a taller trunk gives you more utility with the hatchback. As far as the looks though, I think a sedan is better generally. Hatchbacks seem a little junior to me often times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Having a taller trunk gives you more utility with the hatchback. As far as the looks though, I think a sedan is better generally. Hatchbacks seem a little junior to me often times.
Plus when you look at what you actually need to carry over what you want, in most cases a trunk like what you'd find in the iA will be good enough.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think its funny because this list could be full of good reasons to get a Scion sedan, but this list doesn't really hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How about, getting a great car (Mazda2) for a low price. How about really good fuel efficieny (which is already on the list).

Those are the first things that come to mind.

·
Registered
401 Posts
How about, getting a great car (Mazda2) for a low price. How about really good fuel efficieny (which is already on the list).

Those are the first things that come to mind.
Yeah those are two important things, great that they used something that has long proved itself to be worth, usually something at times that missing which send folks to the used car market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts