Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I know it can get up to 80 but can do it maintain it? Also what RPM will it be at? my altima barely hovers at 2200 rpm at 80rpm :]. I know it's meant for city driving but we gotta go highway too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't driven too much on the highway yet, but when I have it has not been hard to get to 80 and stay at 80 much to my chagrin as I don't normally like to go above the speed limit by that much. I keep reading reviews that say, "I have to floor the gas to pass people." That's complete hyperbole.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, no problem maintaining 80 mph. I live in Atlanta and while the limit is 70mph on interstate, traffic is constantly at about 75-80mph. Surprisingly, even cruise control will maintain speed in 6th gear unless there is a noticeable gradient or you have a full car (weight is the enemy in these cars).

You will be at about 2870 RPMs in 6th gear in a manual or 2460 RPMs in an automatic, according to the gear ratios.

Is there a lot of passing power at 80mph? No. But a quick downshift is enough to get around someone if you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My iA is very comfortable and performs well at 80MPH. I have an auto and find that it is at about 2500RPMS at 80MPH. I don't have any issue passing people when needed, even without the use of sport mode.

I drove about 300 miles doing 75-80MPH for 80% of the drive and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just drove from Oregon to California, MPG was from 42.4 (first fill up) and 45.7 (second fill up) was doing 75 highway mainly and sometimes 80 mph. was able to pass truck just fine up to 90 mph.

I'll report back on SoCal californiaa fter a few days

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you guys are getting 40+ mpg how many miles are you actually getting when you set your trip at 0 before starting on your drive? My iA said I was getting 38 mpg but I only went 237 miles on the tank from full to empty and it took right at 10 gal of gas to fill it up. (To me that's only 24 mpg and Yes it's new so I was running the dog crap outta it) so I expect the low mileage but curious about the mpg reading and how accurate it is along side of doing the math at the fill up on a normal drive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you guys are getting 40+ mpg how many miles are you actually getting when you set your trip at 0 before starting on your drive? My iA said I was getting 38 mpg but I only went 237 miles on the tank from full to empty and it took right at 10 gal of gas to fill it up. (To me that's only 24 mpg and Yes it's new so I was running the dog crap outta it) so I expect the low mileage but curious about the mpg reading and how accurate it is along side of doing the math at the fill up on a normal drive.
On my last tank 435 miles at the station required 9.599 gallons to fill, with 45.35 mpg. When I reset the odometer, I have the display reset the current mpg Current on the display. At trip reset, this group moves on to the left and a new one starts. My real mpg vs calculated is off by ~1 to 1.5 mpg, seems accurate enough for my taste.

Here are my current stats, As one can see I am on track for about 449 miles on this tank which does not seem unusual as my mileage is still increasing through break in. If all stays the same as in this picture, the 48.4 mpg the computer indicates will probably net me a calculated fuel mpg of ~ 46.8 or so Note: When I filled the tank for the visual you see here it projected the range at 437 Miles

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my last tank 435 miles at the station required 9.599 gallons to fill, with 45.35 mpg. When I reset the odometer, I have the display reset the current mpg Current on the display. At trip reset, this group moves on to the left and a new one starts. My real mpg vs calculated is off by ~1 to 1.5 mpg, seems accurate enough for my taste.

Here are my current stats, As one can see I am on track for about 449 miles on this tank which does not seem unusual as my mileage is still increasing through break in. If all stays the same as in this picture, the 48.4 mpg the computer indicates will probably net me a calculated fuel mpg of ~ 46.8 or so Note: When I filled the tank for the visual you see here it projected the range at 437 Miles
The highest I got on the highway was 45.7 but I go 75mph to 80mph. I'll give you an update on my next fill up cause that'll be a mix of city and highway (SoCal) LA/OC area.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is that all highway miles or do you have any backroads that you drive also that are in the mix? Also has your mileage steadily increased since you bought it?
This is 5% Highway and the rest smaller routes to and from work. Speeds in the neighborhood of 50 mph. Yes my mileage has increased as the car is accumulating miles. It is hard to say how much since the gasoline's change into the warmer months and it is typical to get more mpg's with warmer weather. I currently have ~ 2,000 miles on the vehicle.

For what its worth: I have a very light foot as I have said in the past. Also, my thoughts are that 50-55 mph is the sweet spot for maximizing mpg. I do not doubt that I could get the advertised 42 mpg on the highway at 60-65 mph but fairly confident the driving I do today @ 50-55 mph is ideal for maximimum mpg with these vehicles. Once again I will bet I will get 47 mpg on this tank but perhaps the outside limit, at least for me.. 24 mpg seems super low for mpg, hope all is well with your iA or your foot:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is 5% Highway and the rest smaller routes to and from work. Speeds in the neighborhood of 50 mph. Yes my mileage has increased as the car is accumulating miles. It is hard to say how much since the gasoline's change into the warmer months and it is typical to get more mpg's with warmer weather. I currently have ~ 2,000 miles on the vehicle.

For what its worth: I have a very light foot as I have said in the past. Also, my thoughts are that 50-55 mph is the sweet spot for maximizing mpg. I do not doubt that I could get the advertised 42 mpg on the highway at 60-65 mph but fairly confident the driving I do today @ 50-55 mph is ideal for maximimum mpg with these vehicles. Once again I will bet I will get 47 mpg on this tank but perhaps the outside limit, at least for me.. 24 mpg seems super low for mpg, hope all is well with your iA or your foot:)
Imagine how well our MPG would be if had the 14:1 compression engine ><, Toyota why you must reduce our compression to 12:1 to match the yaris's hp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly I have a harder time making sure I'm not driving too fast! She drives smooth at 80 and you barely feel it. I have found myself at a 100 a couple times without realizing it, and had to seriously manage my speed. My work day starts very early before traffic hits the roads, and I have a long highway drive. Yesterday I averaged around 90 the whole way, and my MPG for the trip was 42!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have no problem getting to 80 mph, however the car is incredibly light which makes it feel less safe than 70mph so I'll typically keep it around 70-75.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have read that the Scion will do 120mph. My iA will do 80mph no problem. Not a lot of power but a lot of fun to drive. Zoom Zoom.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stock tires limit the scion to 130 mph...

Uhh, I don't think this will be a problem the way I drive. The Toyota Yaris iA or Scion iA (might as well buy a low-mile used Scion iA - except it won't have a new car Warranty) will have plenty of pick-em-up boot scoot for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts