Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

While I find the sound syetem in the iA satisfactory for most listening, I wanted to add a bit of bass to carry the bottom end without distorting (specifically at higher volumes).

So I came across the Clarion SRV250. It's a (very) compact amplified all-in-one subwoofer that is designed to do just that.

While the Clarion has high powered line in connections, I really didn't want to splice into my brand new wiring harness. And Since the Stock radio didn't have RCA outs, I picked up a line level converter. This one is a PAC unit designed for Mazdas that just clipped into the existing harness. It even provided a remote turn on line! Very nice!

For constant power, I ran a new fused line from the battery through the firewall and installed the unit under my seat.

Overall, mission accomplished! I am able to get a little more bass without taxing the stock speakers as much with minimal space taken up and if I end up changing my mind, it's completely reversible!

Install Note: this car is SO easy to take apart! I was able to install all the interior wires without so much as a screwdriver. Smart design! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whats the cost of this? I want to do this, and that line thing would help a ton with installing a system lol where did you run your wires through the firewall? I Couldnt see any visable openings

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get the subwoofer for $122 from BestBuy.

The PAC adapter was $32 from Amazon. Yes this thing works better than I ever could have hoped! :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001715RQS/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran my power wire through the firewall through the rubber plug where the vehicle wiring harness goes through (drivers footwell). It is kind of a pain, as you can't 'see' through it. To get the wire pushed through, you have to poke a hole in the rubber flex tube on the engine side (I used a screwdriver) but if you do, it comes into the engine compartment right by the Ecu/battery.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats awesome, ill be doing this after my next car payment lol cant wait for the lows to be nicer

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool! It definitely is a good supplement to the stock system. If you are wanting more of a bass heavy sound, you might want something a bit more powerful. There are several brands/models of these subs that will fit under the seat, some of which are higher power.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My ill look into it to see what fits my needs, but that little speaker will do wonders until I get a dual 10" system haha

Good job on finding this out!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just out of curiosity, if you turn up the music will the seat vibrate a bit from the bass?
Not really. A) I don't listen to music with much bass; and B) Its only a small sub (150w max). You can hear it more than feel it, which is enough for me! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bass is cool and all but I hate when its turned up more than it needs to be, there's only so much you need to clearly hear the different bass levels of some songs. Ultimately trying to achieve what high end factory car audio system do is what should be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you please put pictures or video of where this wiring harness flex tube is? I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for and I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks in advanced. I've been messing with this power wire for hours but being completely unsuccessful

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's a really nice conservative set up there ! For that price you really can't go wrong. Clean and out of the way too which is great. Not sacrificing any usable space at all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey everyone!

While I find the sound syetem in the iA satisfactory for most listening, I wanted to add a bit of bass to carry the bottom end without distorting (specifically at higher volumes).

So I came across the Clarion SRV250. It's a (very) compact amplified all-in-one subwoofer that is designed to do just that.

While the Clarion has high powered line in connections, I really didn't want to splice into my brand new wiring harness. And Since the Stock radio didn't have RCA outs, I picked up a line level converter. This one is a PAC unit designed for Mazdas that just clipped into the existing harness. It even provided a remote turn on line! Very nice!

For constant power, I ran a new fused line from the battery through the firewall and installed the unit under my seat.

Overall, mission accomplished! I am able to get a little more bass without taxing the stock speakers as much with minimal space taken up and if I end up changing my mind, it's completely reversible!

Install Note: this car is SO easy to take apart! I was able to install all the interior wires without so much as a screwdriver. Smart design! :)
I don't think the bass is lacking the mid-range is abysmal, might need to upgrade the speakers. I'll wait until someone has taken the panel off then I'll try it =]. I wonder how much power that Mazda info system is pushing

·
Registered
9 Posts
alternator

did you notice any dimming in the cars lighting as a result of pulling power from the alternator? ie; navigation system/ headlights? if so do you know how much our cars alternator can handle? thanks in advance

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doesn't seem like it's big enough to draw that much power. Worst case scenario, throw a voltage stabilizer or a cap in between the line somewhere

1 - 18 of 18 Posts