Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 2016 Scion iA (manual), I've been hearing noise from the front when braking in cold weather (mornings and late nights mostly in the winter).

Toyota has resurfaced them. That fixed it for about 6 months. Then it came back slowly and progressively worse but I was too busy to go back. Once I ran out of the free Toyota Care, I paid to have it the pads (OEM) changed and resurfaced again. That was a good fix for about a two months.

Now I am certain I need to change the rotors and pads with aftermarket parts.

Does anyone know if the OEM pads are ceramic or semi-metallic?
It seems the OEM rotors are 4-lug nut holes though. If I were to purchase from a semi-popular aftermarket maker, they have either 5-10 lug nut holes (I'm guessing for them to be a universal fit for most). Will this be an issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using R1 Concepts front rotors and pads. I went with their GEOMET rotors and paired it with OEp brake pads. R1 Concepts is based in southern California and when you talk directly with a sales rep they normally give you some kind of a promotion.

As far as performance goes I can't fairly compare the aftermarket VS OEM because I recently bought my iA used with 30k miles already on it. I will say that the setup definitely stops better than what I previously had on the vehicle.

R1 concepts at the time I purchased pads and rotors did not have the hardware needed for the brake pads do I ordered some through the local dealer. The Mazda hardware kit that Toyota sells also comes with copper anti seize which should help with noise if applied in the right places. My OEM brake calipers were corroded with I have no idea what so I also replaced these ones while I swapped out rotors and pads. While working on the brakes I also made sure to bleed both the brake and clutch system. I've attached pictures with both Mazda and Toyota part #s. The RH caliper part number for Mazda is DAY-33-98ZA.

I'll be working on the rear brake in the near future.

Once I go through these rotors and pads I'm going to figure out what 2-4 piston calipers work on the front end of the iA and figure out what rear disk brake setup can be used.

Hope this info helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using R1 Concepts front rotors and pads. I went with their GEOMET rotors and paired it with OEp brake pads. R1 Concepts is based in southern California and when you talk directly with a sales rep they normally give you some kind of a promotion.

As far as performance goes I can't fairly compare the aftermarket VS OEM because I recently bought my iA used with 30k miles already on it. I will say that the setup definitely stops better than what I previously had on the vehicle.

R1 concepts at the time I purchased pads and rotors did not have the hardware needed for the brake pads do I ordered some through the local dealer. The Mazda hardware kit that Toyota sells also comes with copper anti seize which should help with noise if applied in the right places. My OEM brake calipers were corroded with I have no idea what so I also replaced these ones while I swapped out rotors and pads. While working on the brakes I also made sure to bleed both the brake and clutch system. I've attached pictures with both Mazda and Toyota part #s. The RH caliper part number for Mazda is DAY-33-98ZA.

Once I go through these rotors and pads I'm going to figure out what 2-4 piston calipers work on the front end of the iA and figure out what rear disk brake setup can be used.

Any idea on the torque specs on this? Getting ready to do mine next weekend but haven't found the torque specs for the caliper brackets. I know that the lugs are 80ft/lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Any idea on the torque specs on this? Getting ready to do mine next weekend but haven't found the torque specs for the caliper brackets. I know that the lugs are 80ft/lbs.

No clue on Torque spec, I kinda guessed with arm tight and used blue Thread locker. My guess would be around 35-45lb. Driven 5k on my brakes setup since the swap and I'm still alive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts