1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
my understanding is there are 3 versions available

30, oldest weakest.
50, came with my 2019, old, weak.
70, the very thing we want.

30 and 50 have a " fail safe" version that has to be installed before the actual version can be installed.

the Mazda dealer told me to install all 5, in order, to go from 50 to 70, just to be sure.

fs30
fs50

yes, the id # of each has lots more digits than just the first two but the only version I care about is whatever long 70 number is current when I am ready to use it.

the fail safe system was dropped for 70 so there is no fs70 to install first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I am planning to do this installation and I am really interested in it, I already have several sources of information and the USB module.

But what scares me a bit is damaging my SW.
I don't know anyone who already has it installed on their 2016 Scion ia or Toyota Yaris R.

I just need to update from 55.00.753 NA N to 70.00.335 NA

Do any of you know someone who did it successfully?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this to my 2017 Yaris iA, following those instructions you showed where you press the three buttons on your console and type in some numbers to start the update.

I went from 55.00.754 NA N to '70.000.100 NA A Failsafe' to '70.000.100 NA A' and finally to 70.000.367.

This changes the branding to Mazda, and the colors to red, but almost everything remains the same, I'm currently running the latest version without any problems. This weekend I hope to install the new USB hub and wiring so I can use Android Auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did this to my 2017 Yaris IA and it worked great. The only issue I've ever had with it is that if you plug in the phone in the middle of the boot procedure it sometimes won't engage and recognize the phone, even if you unplug it and plug it back in. As long as the phone is plugged in before I start the car or after the "I agree" (not to be a distracted driver) screen goes away there haven't been any issues.

My local Toyota dealer still claims this can't be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I am planning to do this installation and I am really interested in it, I already have several sources of information and the USB module.

But what scares me a bit is damaging my SW.
I don't know anyone who already has it installed on their 2016 Scion ia or Toyota Yaris R.

I just need to update from 55.00.753 NA N to 70.00.335 NA

Do any of you know someone who did it successfully?
I’m trying to find the USB module for my wife’s 2016 Scion IA, any idea where I can get it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did this to my 2017 Yaris iA, following those instructions you showed where you press the three buttons on your console and type in some numbers to start the update.

I went from 55.00.754 NA N to '70.000.100 NA A Failsafe' to '70.000.100 NA A' and finally to 70.000.367.

This changes the branding to Mazda, and the colors to red, but almost everything remains the same, I'm currently running the latest version without any problems. This weekend I hope to install the new USB hub and wiring so I can use Android Auto.
I have a 2017 iA and I just ordered the replacement usb hub. Where can I find the firmware versions? I'm currently on 55.00.754 N

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also interested in this. Can one do the software update without replacing the existing usb hub?
I'm pretty sure based on all the information I've found so far that you need two things. They're sold on amazon as a $150 kit mentioned above or you can buy them separately but it's the USB interface and upgraded wiring from the newer cars. It has a specific USB plug that's marked with a cell phone indicator to show it's CarPlay / Android Auto compatible.

I got them both in yesterday but I need to kind of piece together how the dashboard and interior trim comes apart because I need access to swap out the USB hub and route the new cables to the back of the existing head unit. I assume at this point I'm just gonna be using spreader/pry tools on the dash trim to gain access to that but I'd be a lot happier if I had some proper information on how all that trim comes apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure based on all the information I've found so far that you need two things. They're sold on amazon as a $150 kit mentioned above or you can buy them separately but it's the USB interface and upgraded wiring from the newer cars. It has a specific USB plug that's marked with a cell phone indicator to show it's CarPlay / Android Auto compatible.

I got them both in yesterday but I need to kind of piece together how the dashboard and interior trim comes apart because I need access to swap out the USB hub and route the new cables to the back of the existing head unit. I assume at this point I'm just gonna be using spreader/pry tools on the dash trim to gain access to that but I'd be a lot happier if I had some proper information on how all that trim comes apart.
Take the small trim in front of The screen out, unbolt two bolts under. Then lift up and remove the trim behind the screen and the radio comes right out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take the small trim in front of The screen out, unbolt two bolts under. Then lift up and remove the trim behind the screen and the radio comes right out.
Awesome, do you know the procedure to pop the USB hub out? I planned on doing a whole video of the install and MMI upgrade this weekend. The videos I've seen of the mazda guys do it it's actually in their armrest but ours is under the HVAC controls. I assume that whole panel pops out, I'll just have to play around a bit with it because I'll need to route the cables up to the HU from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome, do you know the procedure to pop the USB hub out? I planned on doing a whole video of the install and MMI upgrade this weekend. The videos I've seen of the mazda guys do it it's actually in their armrest but ours is under the HVAC controls. I assume that whole panel pops out, I'll just have to play around a bit with it because I'll need to route the cables up to the HU from there.
you’ve gotta pull all the plastics out. Mostly all pulling. Very few screws. Not too bad. I would start by pulling the two sides of the center console in front of the shifter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive finally got around to buying the hub, got it installed but i noticed i have no apple carplay on my radio. Im on 70.000.367 NA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well guys... Turns out it was a total fake. Went down to the local Mazda dealer and picked a kit up. Worked like a charm. I've attached a photo of the devices so you guys know what to look out for when shopping for the piece.

Don't waste time and money on those fakes. Just pay the extra $50 on the real deal at the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts