Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure based on all the information I've found so far that you need two things. They're sold on amazon as a $150 kit mentioned above or you can buy them separately but it's the USB interface and upgraded wiring from the newer cars. It has a specific USB plug that's marked with a cell phone indicator to show it's CarPlay / Android Auto compatible.

I got them both in yesterday but I need to kind of piece together how the dashboard and interior trim comes apart because I need access to swap out the USB hub and route the new cables to the back of the existing head unit. I assume at this point I'm just gonna be using spreader/pry tools on the dash trim to gain access to that but I'd be a lot happier if I had some proper information on how all that trim comes apart.
Take the small trim in front of The screen out, unbolt two bolts under. Then lift up and remove the trim behind the screen and the radio comes right out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome, do you know the procedure to pop the USB hub out? I planned on doing a whole video of the install and MMI upgrade this weekend. The videos I've seen of the mazda guys do it it's actually in their armrest but ours is under the HVAC controls. I assume that whole panel pops out, I'll just have to play around a bit with it because I'll need to route the cables up to the HU from there.
you’ve gotta pull all the plastics out. Mostly all pulling. Very few screws. Not too bad. I would start by pulling the two sides of the center console in front of the shifter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well guys... Turns out it was a total fake. Went down to the local Mazda dealer and picked a kit up. Worked like a charm. I've attached a photo of the devices so you guys know what to look out for when shopping for the piece.

Don't waste time and money on those fakes. Just pay the extra $50 on the real deal at the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts