Scion IA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been using the arm rest for about a week now, the car is better with it than without it. Access to the volume control and the big knob is less than an issue than I thought it would be. Sure you have to flex your wrist to get it it, but how often do you need to? I don't use the cup holders, if I have a bottle of water then it goes in the door anyway.
That's a good thing to point out since those with long commutes will find that they have a real need for it, even more so with those that go on long trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to share a great appreciation for this forum, thank you for the great detail! I was stuck without any instructions in the carton when I received the armrest for my ia. There were some stressful moments doing the tightening during the install - but in the end I'm really happy with the purchase. It has made driving much more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does this armrest swing up and out of the way if chosen, I have not seen a pic of this yet ...tm
Yes, it does!

I'm really glad I got the armrest installed. I accidentally ran into the sales rep while I was test driving it because I was so used to resting my arm on my old car. :p

However, I have noticed that it's a bit "loose." I feel as if I may have put too much weight on it and bent it somehow, but it's not like I sat on the armrest or anything. Just normal usage. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, it does!

I'm really glad I got the armrest installed. I accidentally ran into the sales rep while I was test driving it because I was so used to resting my arm on my old car. :p

However, I have noticed that it's a bit "loose." I feel as if I may have put too much weight on it and bent it somehow, but it's not like I sat on the armrest or anything. Just normal usage. Anyone else experience this?
Thank you! Still thinking about this accessory but I may wait for my first real road trip to push out the cost:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my arm rest about a month now. The car is much more comfortable with the arm rest than without it. Both my wife and I can use it at the same time. Volume knod is not as easy to use, but I use the volume on the steering wheel anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
some tips on installation

Some additional tips for anyone else looking to install the armrest themselves:

I ordered the armrest on eBay for $170 (shipping included) and decided to install myself (dealerships quoted me $140-$160 for installation).

I primarily used the pdf directions downloaded from http colon slash slash scionpartspeople.scionofpuyallup.com/product/iA/2016/Comfort%20and%20Convenience/Center%20Armrest.

Once you get to the part where you're going to screw the bracket in, you'll find that the holes you've cut out (by removing the tabs) in the inner console aren't larger enough to even get the back legs in. Bundu solved this by disassembling the bracket, sticking the legs thru the bottom of the console and reassembling the bracket. I didn't have the right size allen wrench and thus couldn't take it apart. The pdf instructions tell you to enlarge the holes by scoring the plastic to the outer wall and pushing down, exposing the hex nuts. I found this impossible to do with a boxcutter. Instead I used a drill and a spade bit to weaken and poke holes in the plastic, then I chipped away at it with a screwdriver and boxcutter (so elegant). Then I put the bracket in and it fit thru the holes, but I couldn't get it over both screws at the base. So then I realized that I was going to have to chip away plastic toward the inside of the inner console (enlarge it the opposite way). This is what I ended up with: http colon slash slash i.imgur.com/jMGVzaN.jpg. Finally, the bracket's back legs fit thru the holes and over the screws.

Another thing to add: the spare plastic Bundu mentioned may have been the "inner shield and outer bushing" that go in the "upper adapter" part. The outer bushing doesn't fit well inside of the inner shield, so I taped it in place. Following the pdf, I also taped the inner shield to the adapter before adding the armrest and carriage bolt. I installed it the pdf's way and Bundu's way (without the inner shield and outer bushing) and I think it closed more smoothly and firmly with the inner shield and bushing.

I also agree with Bundu about maybe using bolts instead of the hex screws (the back ones) when affixing the upper adapter to the lower base. Again I didn't have the right allen wrench for these and I couldn't get them as tight as I would have liked and I think the upper adapter lifts a little when I use the armrest because I didn't get this that tight.

Just did this last night. I might report back in a bit with my experiences of the armrest. I'm not handy at all and know next to nothing about tools, so this took me about 5 hours (you may not have to watch youtube videos to figure out how torque wrenches work). Ask away if you want to know anything else or want advice on your own installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried this armrest in a 2016 Scion iA?

ebay.com/itm/like/391897631546

It looks like they are showing the same console. If it would work, I think I like it better than the other flat flip down one and this one has some storage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried this armrest in a 2016 Scion iA?

ebay.com/itm/like/391897631546

It looks like they are showing the same console. If it would work, I think I like it better than the other flat flip down one and this one has some storage.
Have you taken the plunge Jaw? If you did please so send some pictures and let us know how it is!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts