Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm all for this move and it's a smart one as far as I see it.
Reason being is the obviously growing compact city car market, with the iA, the Aygo under a Scion badge should help propel the brand to where they want to be as it serves a real need in the market.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Argo's face is pretty distinctive. Do you think they'll keep the X look at the front or change it to something else? Scion needs to make more design similarity between their vehicles. They need a standard grille design or something.

·
Registered
422 Posts
But there really wasn't any change in the grille between those vehicles. The grille for the Auris is less distinctive than the grille for the Aygo. I just figure that Scion can't really keep it since its so bold.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i can see the same transition of design happening with this scion version of the aygo
doesn't seem like they're ready yet for big changes
still trying to establish themselves properly

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Argo's face is pretty distinctive. Do you think they'll keep the X look at the front or change it to something else? Scion needs to make more design similarity between their vehicles. They need a standard grille design or something.
the X is only painted, look at what they did 2 to iA...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at another picture of the Aygo, it looks better without that big X painted on it:

For sure, thats a simple enough decision change. I don't know how BAD scion needs a sub compact, a sub compact CUV yes... but...

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can still kinda see the X. I think that Scion could change the front even more than that picture of a black Aygo shows us. The iA had a pretty radical front end change to it from the Mazda2. It really could be anything though. Scion always surprises me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For sure, thats a simple enough decision change. I don't know how BAD scion needs a sub compact, a sub compact CUV yes... but...
They're seeing potential in compact vehicles, the iA signals that. It might not be a big winner for them but might be a stronger selling product than what they've had and currently have.

Don't see many current compact hatches on the road, so this could also very well be a flop

·
Registered
370 Posts
The whole compact entry-level vehicle thing is what I read up on in an article that talked about the brands future direction

Good angle to hit in an emerging sub-compact world of cars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think that Scion might have chose this segment because there isn't a lot of competition. They'd rather try to be successful with less competition in this segment, than try to gain market share in a really popular segment. That's what I'm guessing anyway.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I looked through Toyota's line up to see if it could be anything else. There is the Verso which is kinda a hatchback wagon, but it really does seem like it will be the Aygo, especially since we know it won't be a crossover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that Scion might have chose this segment because there isn't a lot of competition. They'd rather try to be successful with less competition in this segment, than try to gain market share in a really popular segment. That's what I'm guessing anyway.
Aygo rivals Yaris, Fiesta, Sonic, FIT so its more like they needed a low cost player in there in hopes of undercutting the domestics and Honda/Nissan...

·
Registered
422 Posts
They also got rid of the iQ. The Aygo isn't nearly as small, but will be kinda replacing the iQ as the smallest Scion you can buy. And I suspect people will be more likely to buy a car the size of the Aygo instead of the iQ. The iQ just isn't very functional for most people. Not much utility.

·
Registered
370 Posts
iQ targets a very small segment and isn't nearly as good of a vehicle in its segment as others are. Most rather buy a smart car.

Aygo appeals to a much broader range of people and crosses multiple small car segments, their reach with that sets them up for success.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts