Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had screw get in the sidewall and started slow leak. TPMS sensor light comes on after couple of days. Not able to plug. Tire Rack is only source other than dealer and they are back ordered. Dealer is $168 for a tire. Would put on a 195 x55R 16 but can do that for just one wheel. It is crap that you can get a tire other than dealer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had screw get in the sidewall and started slow leak. TPMS sensor light comes on after couple of days. Not able to plug. Tire Rack is only source other than dealer and they are back ordered. Dealer is $168 for a tire. Would put on a 195 x55R 16 but can do that for just one wheel. It is crap that you can get a tire other than dealer.
Made a post about this but I'll be switching my tires all to 205/55/16 when either something happens to a tire or they woren out. There's lots of option for 205/55/16

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Made a post about this but I'll be switching my tires all to 205/55/16 when either something happens to a tire or they woren out. There's lots of option for 205/55/16
Any idea what this does to the rest of the vehicle? Ex. suspension, handling, etc?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Take a look at my post on general discussion / tires... Switching to 205 has more contact patch compared to 185.. it should give slightly better handling and better stopping power (obviously depending on the type of tire)... Mostly though, no difference would be notice for the avg driver... also... The actual speed will vary slightly.. but no difference will be notice by avg driver as well... As long as all tires are of the same size and make no suspension problem will occur...

Also... Tire pressure should be the same...use recommended.. you can tweak it to your liking of course.. but use recommended as baseline

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take a look at my post on general discussion / tires... Switching to 205 has more contact patch compared to 185.. it should give slightly better handling and better stopping power (obviously depending on the type of tire)... Mostly though, no difference would be notice for the avg driver... also... The actual speed will vary slightly.. but no difference will be notice by avg driver as well... As long as all tires are of the same size and make no suspension problem will occur...

Also... Tire pressure should be the same...use recommended.. you can tweak it to your liking of course.. but use recommended as baseline

Hope that helps...
It does actually. Thanks, quick question tho, since the tire is wider, can we still use the same wheel/rim?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would need to look into when wider tires becomes unsafe on our stock rims but........ On that link i posted... It shows the recommend alternatives to our stock tires. 205 is one of the recommended... I believe the difference is like 0.6%... don't quote me... but it was something negligible....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
Hey so ti stock tire...do they make it in a snow tire? And does the owners manual say we can switch tire sizes? haven't purchased the car yet, but this one tire option scares me.....plus can we get a snow tire...
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered 4 of the original Toyos from America's Tire / Discount Tire. They matched the price of Simple Tire of $98.09, so I'm happy except that I will probably switch to a different tire size in the future also unless some other manufacturers start making the 185 60R16 tires. The original Toyo tires lasted only 25,000 miles. And that would be a problem for me except that the Scion is a backup car for our family and I will probably only be driving it 4,000 miles a year. So these tires should last me about 6 years. We shall see how the journey goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts