Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm not good with cars and I'm bothered when I hit the brake hear squeaking noises and it irritates me. Does it sound good to clean them or replace the brake pads?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If breaks squeal all the time, even when not exposed to moisture.. maybe a good indicator brake pad wear.. so inspect them and see if you need to replace them.

YouTube search Chris fix brake pads

Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If breaks squeal all the time, even when not exposed to moisture.. maybe a good indicator brake pad wear.. so inspect them and see if you need to replace them.

YouTube search Chris fix brake pads

Best of luck
Should I replace the brake pads? or together with the rotors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced my rotors and pads yesterday. My 2017 Yaris was making grinding noises, and some squealing. Initially I thought it was a different issue, as it only has 31k miles on it. But I took it to the dealer, and they said it had only 1 or 2mm of pad material left, and would replace both rotors and pads for $850. Thanks, but no thanks.

I purchased the rotors/pads from RockAuto, and did the job myself. The noises are now gone, and the dealer was correct, the pads were low, the brake wear indicator was rubbing the rotor making the annoying noise.

I personally would replace both, the rotors and pads at the same time, but maybe others can chime into whether the rotors would still be good depending on the mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced my rotors and pads yesterday. My 2017 Yaris was making grinding noises, and some squealing. Initially I thought it was a different issue, as it only has 31k miles on it. But I took it to the dealer, and they said it had only 1 or 2mm of pad material left, and would replace both rotors and pads for $850. Thanks, but no thanks.

I purchased the rotors/pads from RockAuto, and did the job myself. The noises are now gone, and the dealer was correct, the pads were low, the brake wear indicator was rubbing the rotor making the annoying noise.

I personally would replace both, the rotors and pads at the same time, but maybe others can chime into whether the rotors would still be good depending on the mileage.
It depends. Just look at the rotors. Do they look fucked up and/or thin? (less than 20mm I believe on mine) yeet them. It really depends on how fast your pad is wearing. I've thrown pads on sometimes and both sometimes. If you're doing the rotors tho, it always make sense to do pads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the advice @osc247, I just bought R1 ceramic brake pads together with the rotors and have them installed by the mechanic of my father.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends. Just look at the rotors. Do they look fucked up and/or thin? (less than 20mm I believe on mine) yeet them. It really depends on how fast your pad is wearing. I've thrown pads on sometimes and both sometimes. If you're doing the rotors tho, it always make sense to do pads.
Thanks for the advice @sharky896, I just bought R1 ceramic brake pads together with the rotors and have them installed by the mechanic of my father.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts