Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it be a plug and play, or wiring and some modification needs to be done? I need a yes or no. Please don't think that 3 different badging is going in my car, I'm trying to make a mazda2 sedan clone. Plus this will open more opportunities to the mazda2 parts and anything that the Mazda 2 can do and have.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since the iA is such a new car, you would be the first (to my knowledge) to try it! So have at it and be sure to report back! :)

I have thought about it but from what I have seen, I ESTIMATE you would have to change the headlights and bumper cover at least. Not sure about the actual metal bumper; since the Mazda2 sedan didnt have to meet US crash safety standards, the plastic bumper cover might not fit over the (US approved) iA's bumper. I would think that if there is a Mazda stamp (or part number) on the actual metal bumper, then I assume it was designed to US standards and made to fit both bumper covers. A lot of assumptions here.

Headlight wiring CLIPS might be differents (since the headlights are Toyota/Scion parts), but I'm pretty confident the wiring harness would be the same (you may just have to source Mazda 2 wiring clips).

I'm pretty sure that you would not have to change the front quarter panels. The headlights are VERY close in shape at that point (and i wouldn't be surprised if they were the same). The shape difference seems to only affect the bumper.

Here is a site to visually compare.

I initially wanted to do the same (because I really wanted a Mazda 2 and not a Scion), but given I would have to import the parts, I figure I will likely just deal with the Scion front end.

Just curious: are you just swapping over the obviously different exterior pieces, or going to do a FULL swap? Technically (besides the front), the tail lights, gauge cluster, entertainment center, interior fabrics, and glass are all unique to the iA.... thats a lot to swap!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Seen some pictures of the Mazda 2 sedan and they have the blacked out headlight housing, that might be a mod I do, along with a projector retrofit. Those two alone will do a lot for the iA.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Seen some pictures of the Mazda 2 sedan and they have the blacked out headlight housing, that might be a mod I do, along with a projector retrofit. Those two alone will do a lot for the iA.
Interested to see if the headlights are compatible. Have you looked into it further? Size, fitting, etc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts