Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I've been considering replacing my current car with the IA and am drawn to it by the stylish look and that oh so awesome advertised mpg! I test drove a manual IA back when they first came out but didn't pull the trigger because I felt like it was overpriced for such a small car, that and they didn't have it in the color I wanted so all the IA's on the lot just looked very Bleh to me.

Any way I'm currently an owner of a MT 2013 Hyundai Accent hatchback, and as much as I like the car and the interior space I'd really like to trade up to something that can offer me similar interior space and beat the mpg. During the summer months I could easily get a good 42-44 mpg and now because of winter grade fuel it's been around 36-38.

My commute to work is 10 miles one way. 80% hwy 20% city. Would I beat those numbers in the IA? I'd probably go for a Manual because I love driving manual transmissions plus I'd probably get it for a much better price over the automatic. I rarely drive over 70 mph anyway so I don't think the little 1.5L would be screaming at that speed.

Oh, and how about on the passenger space side of things? Will this car work considering the accent is pretty roomy? I have a 9 year old so her and her friends ride in the back. I seldomly have other adults in the back seat I just don't want anyone to feel cramped.

Any comments on the mpg and interior space?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can speak to the interior space, but not the gas, as I've had it for a short time.

Front seats are great, and plenty of room (I'm 6'4"). Today, some family friends checked the newly purchased car out, and I had one of the kids sit in the back behind my driver's side extended to my length. She's 12, is on the smaller side, but she did end up having plenty of space behind. I tried sitting in the back, with my seat pressed back all the way, and it's pretty rough, but I don't have any 6'4" friends. Ultimately I think the back seat is fine for kids and smaller/medium adults. Though a medium size adult might not want to ride too far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interior space up front is fine: backseats are not very suitable for average adults.
Fuel consumption is great: all through this past winter I never got less than 43mpg hand-calculated on 87 octane. Now that it is warmer I've been around 46mpg.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Would you iA owners feel bothered enough by the small amounts of sitting space in the back to warn future buyers of this? Or do you just all make the best of the situation and, really don't carry that many passengers in the back, anyway?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was hung up on the space in the back, and it's why I was seriously considering getting the Fit instead. While nobody, but maybe a very small adult, or kid, could sit behind me, I think with a medium size passenger in front, and passenger in back it would be fine. But those are very specific conditions, and maybe you have only tall friends, haha. I just realized, I won't end up driving enough groups around, and will primarily drive by myself. And I can't imagine too many situations where, if I had passengers in back, that I'd be driving very far with them. So that's something to consider as well. I will admit, I'd love to have had the option to have more space in back, but all things considered, the iA provides quite a lot for what it is.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, feel free to PM me any questions. I did a lot of research through this forum to finally buy the car, so I'd like to pay that forward.
You just gave me a great idea for a thread, but because I don't own an iA it wouldn't be right for me to start it. But that thread would be titled something like.. "What got me to buy the Scion iA." I know for a fact a lot of people that were once in your shoes -wondering why they should buy- will love to see what you have to say, along with any others that have made the purchase.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The iA is a classified in many publications as a mini compact. I do not believe any warning regarding back seat comfort would be warranted. If one does their research they will find this out rather quickly. This car IMO is hands down the Best of The Best in its class for many reasons. To warn anyone of this shortfall is not reasonable its a small car period. Not for Rear passenger comfort at all, lets be truthful here. I am 5'7" and got in the back seat to install the center armrest. I was amazed that the Head rest in the down position was in the middle of my back (-:

All in all folks should do their research, test drive the car, and think about their respective purchase priorities. The forums are great to get an idea of what a car is, however anyone who shuts a sale down based on what was read is well "?????????????"

bapaik, we think alike... What is our primary use verses what would be nice.... Good Call

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just a note about space. I'm 5' 9" (and a half) and drive a manual iA. With the way that my seat is situated, I have plenty of room for people in the back seat. I carry my friends around (who are taller and heavier than me), and while I wouldn't take a trip across the country, they can fit for daily driving with no issues. I have had MANY cars with less room in the back seat. As long as you realize this is not a big car, it should be just fine for a couple of smaller passengers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just a note about space. I'm 5' 9" (and a half) and drive a manual iA. With the way that my seat is situated, I have plenty of room for people in the back seat. I carry my friends around (who are taller and heavier than me), and while I wouldn't take a trip across the country, they can fit for daily driving with no issues. I have had MANY cars with less room in the back seat. As long as you realize this is not a big car, it should be just fine for a couple of smaller passengers.

Good to hear about the rear seating. I'm really honing in on a purchase of one of these. Pretty solid rig. Love your Autocross video, Rich.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts