Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I test drove a manual iA yesterday (I was impressed!) and have been researching the iA and other small cars. But Im reading a lot of complaints on here about the car: wind noise, transmission issues, steering wheel off center, paint issues....Im wondering if this car has some QC issues or will it be a reliable trouble free choice.
I am also considering the 2016 Spark, 2017 Mirage, Nissan Versa and Fit Lx manual (nearly impossible to find a fit with a manual)
I think I have eliminated the Versa S, it is very primative and feels underpowered even though it has 109hp.
I drove the Spark, it is all new for 2016 and I was impressed by it and it costs much less.
The Mirage well it's a mixed bag of slow and efficient and cheaply made.
I am looking to trade in my 2014 Mini Cooper before it starts to have issues.
My main concerns are fuel mpg and sportiness/fun to drive.
Any thoughts, advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,
I test drove a manual iA yesterday (I was impressed!) and have been researching the iA and other small cars. But Im reading a lot of complaints on here about the car: wind noise, transmission issues, steering wheel off center, paint issues....Im wondering if this car has some QC issues or will it be a reliable trouble free choice.
I am also considering the 2016 Spark, 2017 Mirage, Nissan Versa and Fit Lx manual (nearly impossible to find a fit with a manual)
I think I have eliminated the Versa S, it is very primative and feels underpowered even though it has 109hp.
I drove the Spark, it is all new for 2016 and I was impressed by it and it costs much less.
Thank you.
I came from a 2011 xB and if you can believe it the ride isn't as aggressive. I also don't think the wind noise isn't bad at all but it's all perspective. The car is economical and very fun to drive. It doesn't rattle inside, my xB did in the door. Keep in mind I only have 500 miles on mine. I am satisfied with my purchase thus far.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hello,
Thank you.
Get the Mirage it's my dream car

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mitsubishi is going out of business soon all the dealers in my area are selling outlanders and the rest of their stock for super cheap. The outlander and mirage are their last attempt to stay profitable in the private sector with automobiles. I'd get a fit if you want a hatch maybe a veloster manual?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like my car though just pay the 900 for the 125 warranty and I paid 12.3 before taxes can't really argue with a new car with all these options and that price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If I were you I'd get a truck... but as far as similar in price I'd go for a Mitsubishi Lancer GT ($18k around here), a velositer turbo ($19k), a Mazda 3 ($17k), or a Chevy Cruze especially if you can find a limited lt, but stay away from the auto Cruze for sure ($16k).
I have my ia and it has had more problems than anything else I've had, I hate it. Good mpg but poor handling, very slow, and not sure if it's common but mine seems to never shift as smoothly as my other cars did. Oh and I absolutely hate the gas pedal, that's one thing that shouldn't be electronic. Feels wrong and not responsive at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know of a vehicle not using electronic throttle now. Handling doesn't seem bad again it depends on what you're comparing it to. And slow? Um, yes did you not read the specs before driving? 9-10 second 0-60. Don't buy this car for acceleration. It's too early to tell what problems will plague it but has anyone seen major issues with the Demio Mazda 2 international or Canadian Yaris?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know of a vehicle not using electronic throttle now. Handling doesn't seem bad again it depends on what you're comparing it to. And slow? Um, yes did you not read the specs before driving? 9-10 second 0-60. Don't buy this car for acceleration. It's too early to tell what problems will plague it but has anyone seen major issues with the Demio Mazda 2 international or Canadian Yaris?
The other electronic throttles don't feel like this one though, they feel real. This one feels fake and like it doesn't do much with how little resistance it gives. And my grandfathers new BMW has a cable throttle, it might be a euro thing nowadays. More reasons to go German. And the car feels slower than it is, my moms Prius had a 0-60 of 14 seconds but managed to feel faster than this. This isn't just slow with acceleration though, it responds slow and the electronics like to take their time coming on when you start the car. And the handling is compared to similar vehicles (as far as price anyways). It needs to take corners slower and takes more time to brake than the competition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other electronic throttles don't feel like this one though, they feel real. This one feels fake and like it doesn't do much with how little resistance it gives. And my grandfathers new BMW has a cable throttle, it might be a euro thing nowadays. More reasons to go German. And the car feels slower than it is, my moms Prius had a 0-60 of 14 seconds but managed to feel faster than this. This isn't just slow with acceleration though, it responds slow and the electronics like to take their time coming on when you start the car. And the handling is compared to similar vehicles (as far as price anyways). It needs to take corners slower and takes more time to brake than the competition.
Wow, now Im even more concerned....I thought the iA handled well. Took corners flat with almost no body roll.
As far as the electronics, that is one of my concerns. The Mirage and Yaris dont have as much going on as the iA with that tablet screen and control knob.....what if you spill soda down there or crumbs into the control knobs...I asked the sales girl that, she didnt have an answer. The price for the iA is good, they are offereing me a manual transmission car for $15,126 US dollars. Silver in color. Just wish the front end didnt look so plain, needs LEDs or fog lights or something to dress it up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you drive less than 15k a year you should consider leasing instead, then you get a new car every 3 years. My grandfathers girlfriend has a new 328i with a 6 speed for 36 months/15k a year and has a lower payment than i would on this with only $5k down. My payment would be around $308 and hers is $216. BMW also rolls your down payment on leases, definitely something to consider. I wish I could lease but unfortunately I drive 60k+ a year so I have to buy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They're killing the scion brand. offer them 13 off heck even the true car price is 14.5
I went to true car.com and the price they gave was $15,100 us dollars for my area.
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...iveIds=4000176208&trimId=297572&zipcode=19611
That's not a bad price... if you could get it for around $14k and you want to get rid of it when the warranty is up, then go for it, but I wouldn't recommend one if you want to keep it past the warranty. If the mirage is your biggest competitor with it, this is a much better car. Better built better looking (in my opinion) and more options come standard.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The fit is worth considering, but personally I'd never buy another Honda (I've had many issues with them) and if I did it's another one I wouldn't keep out of warranty. Maybe look into the Ford Fiesta ST too, it's decently quick, has nice features, and is still pretty good on gas. I personally never test drove the spark, but the sonic rs turbo drove good, kinda regret not buying one instead of the ia. Then I could've gotten a sunroof. Another one worth considering is the VW Golf (they're pretty similar to your Mini but more reliable), they're decently quick, very cheap for a German car, they're usually very reliable (my cousin has 266k on hers), cheap to fix for an import once the warranty is up, they hold their value better than the ia or mirage or spark will (probably because they're German, German cars hold their value), and they're still decent on gas. You could always step up to the GTI if you could afford it too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok so I wouldn't reccomend an ia still, but all my problems have been resolved by Toyota. My paint is fixed, trans replaced (no odd noises or grinding from it), etc. and the wind noise was a simple fix, my uncle put better insulation in when he ripped it out to paint it. He said it wasn't sealed well around the door at the top, just like his wife's old tc

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok so I wouldn't reccomend an ia still, but all my problems have been resolved by Toyota. My paint is fixed, trans replaced (no odd noises or grinding from it), etc. and the wind noise was a simple fix, my uncle put better insulation in when he ripped it out to paint it. He said it wasn't sealed well around the door at the top, just like his wife's old tc
Get a Mirage G4 better than iA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
iA, Spark, Mirage in that order....thats how I rank them. Just not sure yet. Thanks for the input though.
It is hard to believe the iA could have so many little problems! Scary.

·
Registered
204 Posts
iA, Spark, Mirage in that order....thats how I rank them. Just not sure yet. Thanks for the input though.
It is hard to believe the iA could have so many little problems! Scary.
I honestly don't think mine had that many little issues, I think it had damage done to it at some point between the factory and when I purchased it. The paint was bubbling because of a poor paint job, my uncle said it didn't look like an original coat of paint on that quarter panel but it was too hard to tell to prove something happened that was repaired. The trans was definitely damaged, all the fluid leaked out (possibly from the same incident as the quarter panel damage if anything happened) and the problems were probably all or at least mostly able to be traced back to the original damage being unrepairable. Mine is just a bad ia that spends a lot of time at the dealership getting warranty repairs. Mine is probably one of the few that'll have this many problems, and the common issues (the noise out of first and the wind noise) will hopefully be fixed at some point down the road. Definitely try to pick up an iA soon if that's what you decide on, the scion version has more options standard and a lower base price than the Toyota Yaris iA will.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts