Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is planning on giving her iA to my brother in July next year as his first car, and she doesn't want him to have a rear view camera because she thinks he'd become too dependent on it and then be unable to confidently back up without hitting anything in a vehicle without a camera or sensors (such as her other car, my father's truck, and my trucks). She'd like me to figure out a way to disable or entirely remove the camera from the car, without any error messages or the infotainment screen going black when the car is in reverse. I obviously don't need to figure this out right away, but it'd be nice to figure it out by July... I suggested just putting a piece of electrical tape over the camera but she wasn't fond of the idea lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's a silly thing for her to be concerned about. Modern rear windows are getting smaller and smaller as pillar sizes get larger, and backup cameras are now mandatory on all vehicles. He might as well learn how to use one now, since literally every other car he'll ever drive will likely have one. Not to mention the large screen in the iA, the positioning of the lens, and the wide angle make it one of the best backup cameras to learn on.

Teach him that when backing up, the camera is just one of five ways to check your surroundings. You have a two side mirrors, a rearview, and your own eyes to use as well. This **** ain't hard, you just have to teach.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a silly thing for her to be concerned about. Modern rear windows are getting smaller and smaller as pillar sizes get larger, and backup cameras are now mandatory on all vehicles. He might as well learn how to use one now, since literally every other car he'll ever drive will likely have one. Not to mention the large screen in the iA, the positioning of the lens, and the wide angle make it one of the best backup cameras to learn on.

Teach him that when backing up, the camera is just one of five ways to check your surroundings. You have a two side mirrors, a rearview, and your own eyes to use as well. This **** ain't hard, you just have to teach.
That's what I told her but she didn't want to hear it lol. I convinced her to leave it and just buy him an old car for his first one and maybe give him the iA as his second after a year or so. She isn't a fan of new cars or new technology, she thinks cars were at their best in the late 90's when they introduced remote entry and efi was standard lol. The only reason she went for brand new is bc she got a great deal with a good warranty on a decent car, and she won't have to worry about things like wiring issues, burnt out lights, bad suspension, bad gaskets and hoses, etc. for a while.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't get me wrong I kinda agree with your Mom :) I miss the character older cars had. Modern cars are all just big and bulky fat and packed full of junk you don't need.

I just think for someone new to driving they might as well learn on something like what they'll end up driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts