Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I live in el Centro, California, you know, very hot summers. I need to have my A/C always turned on and I have noticed that my fuel economy has dropped significantly using the A/C.

I was getting up to 40 mpg without the Air conditioner on, and now it has dropped to about 25-28 mpg, ( i try to be gentle with the acceleration, and i normally drive it in the city, almost no highway).

Has anyone been using your scion IA with the AC always on? It would be great if you could share your MPG. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. I think it's pretty low. That's why I would like to know if someone could share their mpg using a/c to have something to compare my numbers and see if there's something wrong with my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The color of your car could play a role in this. Black cars with small engines operating in extreme temperatures are subject to more operating pressure. Like wearing all black while under 120 degree weather. Not good mang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I read about the color of the car, thats why I have the silver color IA, so it shouldnt be the problem.

Maybe as Jin said, it is an inefficient AC system :S

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well then.... Guys, its simple simple physics, NOT (an inefficient AC system ) as one member has suggested . A big part is: Its Load/HP ratio, look it up, not a difficult concept to understand, just a few paragraphs of reading. Jpdbasher's fuel economy loss is a combination of a lot of factors, Load/HP Ratio, Color, Temperature, Traffic, Speed, Weight of the Foot, topology, etc. Good luck blaming it on the vehicle, you won't get anywhere...... Not something any of us wants to see but it is reasonable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Down the highway about 75-80mph, I turned on the "current mpg" thing, and with ac I had 38-43, with out I was about 60MPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks tegwin. i will compare your Numbers wth my car. It is a very considerable difference in mpg in yours too!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so after a full tank these are my numbers:

Range: 273 miles. AVG Mpg: 27.3

Made this test with Ac always on and almost 90% city driving. No hard acceleration, no sport mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts