Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys liking driving your Scion iA/Toyota Yaris iA/s? Do you feel like racing in it - by that, I mean, do the general driving dynamics make so good you want to push the car into turns or race the car? I've been looking at getting one of these iA's and I really love the looks of the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nope.... Nope... Nope... I wish it did... This is strictly a commuter car, used to go from a to b, the grocery store etc.... It's a perfect car for what it's designed for... you can push it sure, any car can be pushed but....

Theres little to none aftermarket support... So mods are so limited... If you want the ia but want to push it more, I would look into the Mazda 3... There are garages that strictly work on Mazda for racing/tuning...

Hope that helps..

How are you guys liking driving your Scion iA/Toyota Yaris iA/s? Do you feel like racing in it - by that, I mean, do the general driving dynamics make so good you want to push the car into turns or race the car? I've been looking at getting one of these iA's and I really love the looks of the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The car drives and handles like a typical Mazda, pretty darn good for an affordable economy car. It's leagues ahead of a Yaris, Corolla, pre-2018 Camry, Rav4, Sentra Versa, Altima, Impreza, and other cars not known for their driving dynamics. That being said, this car is very low on power and was designed for cheap, reliable transportation that's as fuel efficient as possible without it being a hybrid. It's not want to be raced and like the person above me said, after market support is nonexistent.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds just right for what I need. I want better gas mileage than I'm getting from my 2011 Kia Soul. I'm getting about 24 city 32 highway in my 5-speed Soul. I love the looks of this Scion iA and I have found a 2016 Scion iA 6-speed stick nearby with 25,000 miles on it selling for $13,334. New front brakes and tires. Detailed to a tee in Pulse red. I am really thinking I will drive over there and trade for it. I think the Scion iA will be a fun to drive car that will give me years of driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Frosty, Ia is an awesome car!

Before you buy, look to make sure there are really new tires on the car (when was it manufactured) Also look for what tires are on them, they better not be cheap because you will have to end up spending about 500 - 600 (round up) for new tires.... With only 25,000 miles on it, its really odd to have new tires. Also, new brakes, meaning brake pads and rotors??? Or is it just pads??? If brake pads were just changed, mostly you will have to change the rotors too, eventually roughly $200 (round up) for parts... This tell me, most like this car was pushed hard.... Be careful...

Get copies in writing of everything that was done with the car.... And anyone that touched the car..... With 25,000 miles 22,000 miles was covered under warranty... So the dealer should have reports of when and where it was brought in for maintenance... in these reports, there are comments from the previous owner and tech... Also, why was this car traded in, was it in a minor front end collision... If so... make sure all fenders and alignments were done correctly... Did something minor get damaged enough to the point that the original owner was like, I wanna get a new car to start from scratch... At 25,000 miles this car is out of warranty.... So be careful!

But if everything checks out.... 13k for this car at 25,000 is really overpriced. Make sure you negotiate... As of today, Kelly blue book only values the car between 10K to 11.5K in pristine condition.. I don't think its in perfect condition... Might need new clutches or there are probably waxes on the paint that are covering up blemishes minor or major....

Negotiate my friend... IMO i wont pay more than 10.5K +/- 300 out the door... which includes taxes, fees, interest, and any other fees dealer would like to tackle on...

If your trading in your kia... whatever value you get... doesn't matter.. Don't pay more than 10.5k +/- 300 depending on where you live for tax/fees/interest on finance......

If the seller wont budge on price... No problem.... Tell them to add on an extended warranty for you 5-8 yrs @ no cost.....That should cover the car if any problems arises... May sure you read the contract... Tell the seller you want a moment alone to read in private...

Bottom line... Don't get attached to the car, Negotiate and most importantly Remember to Smile!!!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
$13,334 is too much for a used Scion iA. You can get a brand new one for only about $1000-$1500 more if you pay cash. It's an excellent commuter car. You can easily get 40-45 mpg overall and 50+ on the highway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Keep in mind that 45 mpg is like driving on cruise control set at 60... But you can get around 40 driving normally... And 50 mpg is on long long drives.. if your communing a couple hundred miles and again set to cruise control.. you'll get 50 mpg... Just keep that in mind .

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can get the same with finance... You'll have to negotiate of course... It's possible to get 0 apr... Negotiate....

$13,334 is too much for a used Scion iA. You can get a brand new one for only about $1000-$1500 more if you pay cash. It's an excellent commuter car. You can easily get 40-45 mpg overall and 50+ on the highway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on to a new one now, don't worry about that used one. This one is brand-spankin' new. Pulse color, 6-speed stick. I'm getting it through TrueCar for $14,719. Wednesday this week looks like it'll be the day. I'm excited - I know I'll love this little car from Toyota. It makes me feel better that I'll get a Warranty. I don't need a service contract but if they give me one included at no extra cost, great. I think that for what you get this car is actually worth $20,000. I love this car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does that price mean out the door, which includes tax title fee's.. if yes i say okay deal ...

Try to get less than 14k out the door.. which includes any fees the dealer wants to add on..

Side note.. ia has model end year 2017, 2k cash bonus from manufacturer as of now... so that should after what ever you have negotiated... Not part of the negotiation if you get what i mean..

Bottom line you should get about 4k off invoice.. if you dont frosty.. walk away.. don't get attached... Keep shopping around...

I'm on to a new one now, don't worry about that used one. This one is brand-spankin' new. Pulse color, 6-speed stick. I'm getting it through TrueCar for $14,719. Wednesday this week looks like it'll be the day. I'm excited - I know I'll love this little car from Toyota. It makes me feel better that I'll get a Warranty. I don't need a service contract but if they give me one included at no extra cost, great. I think that for what you get this car is actually worth $20,000. I love this car!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...yeah the need to take an additional $2,000 off of that $14,719 for the manufacturer's deal that ends on 12/4/17. You're right. TrueCar takes $2,000 off first, so the dealer needs to take an additional $2,000 off still.

A 2017 Toyota Yaris iA stick for $12,719 is a great deal!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts