Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a hurricane hit here earlier and the spinoffs and minor flooding started Monday afternoon. Driving Monday afternoon, and all day Tuesday and Wednesday, only verified how much cars, especially small cars like this, and especially this car, absolutely suck in the rain. No ground clearance, no weight to help it stick to the ground, no height to see around large vehicles and objects, etc.. That's stuff I'm used to, the 2 cars before this were slammed to the ground and I learned to live with the pulling and dragging in puddles and having to drive slower so I can watch for and avoid puddles, but this car seems more prone to pulling and dragging in the puddles, but that I could live with. But, this car has one issue I noticed the day after I got the car, the back window fogs up fast when it's raining and hot out (which happens a lot here), but that I can live with. I can't live with what it did today, I'm not positive what it was. The car started jumping in first gear, but as soon as it got into second it stopped the jumping. It did it pulling out of the driveway, and at the next 4 stops. Then it stopped, but after shutting off the car for 5 minutes while I was in the store, then coming back out and starting it, it did it at the light turning onto the highway, but more jumping, and this time unnoticed the traction control light flashing. The car hasn't done it since, and it's been driven about 80 miles, with probably 4-6 stops along the way. I've never had the car do this before, even in the deep puddles like I've been in the past few days and countless times before. It's like all of the sudden it's got Prius-like overly sensitive traction control (you know what I'm talking about if you ever gave a Prius a little extra gas on wet or unpaved roads). Long story short; what could cause this? Could it be traction control over reacting due to flooded roads? Or is it an electrical issue somewhere causing the car to stop giving gas to the engine? If it helps, I don't think the traction control light was on the first couple of times it happened. I tried taking it to the dealer, but they're closed till Monday "due to inclement weather" along with the other 2 closest dealers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it did it again (as we were evacuating for flooding of course) so now it's on my neighbors E-Z Jack (you drive over it and push a button then it lifts the car 2' in the air, made for long term storage for show cars) and will hopefully survive the flooding (doubtful- 4'-7' of flooding expected) and we borrowed the neighbors extra truck (decided what I want next! second gen ram- it's 98 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 Magnum with a 12" lift and 42" tires and drives great) to get the h*** out of dodge (in a dodge lol). If it survives and stays out of the water then it'll be back at Toyota... just when I was starting to like the car...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the car survived the flood (water barely touched the bottom of the tires) and I had a friend that's a Toyota certified mechanic look at it... there is some traction control electric thing that got wet and shorted out, causing the traction control to be hyper sensitive, causing the jumping in first gear from a stop. I'll have it at Toyota Monday morning to get it fixed, but hopefully this'll help anyone else with a traction control issue fix their car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
good thing i'm in SoCal there's no floods... hopefully it'll survive a earthquake or the next 9/11.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does the factory warranty or insurance cover water damage from floods? Makes you wonder how much water the iA can handle before the traction control thing shorts out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the factory warranty or insurance cover water damage from floods? Makes you wonder how much water the iA can handle before the traction control thing shorts out.
Mine was covered by my factory warranty, but I'm not sure if they'd fix it if they knew it shorted out because of water, I just told them what it was doing and they came to the same conclusion my mechanic had and fixed it for free, but they could have assumed it just shorted out, and the problem wasn't related to the flooding. I'm pretty sure insurance would cover it as well, at least if you have mechanical breakdown insurance, which I do because it's only an extra $17 every 6 months. With GEICO you can get it if you bought the car new, and it's still under 15 months/15k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Somehow, in rainy weather, my car skidded, it was due to poor-quality tires. For my car and for the comfort of traveling on it, I first looked for suitable tires. I have chosen the right set of tires with which you can ride on the sand check these tires are excellent quality and exactly what is suitable for driving in extreme conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts