Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the difference between the Scion iA, Mazda 2, and Toyota Yaris. Does anyone know? The three seem the same to me except the Scion and Mazda look better. Someone here told me that my Scion has a Mazda engine in it so...?

Honda Fit is definitely a competitor that only comes in hatchback but...

Please educate me. Especially in regards to the 2015-2016 models/generation(s).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Skyactiv versions of the Mazda 2 (2014+), the Scion iA, and Toyota Yaris 2019-2020, are all, basically (there's a few distinctions but we'll get into it.) the same exact car, minus front end differences on the Mazda vs the Toyota Scion ones.
The 2017-2018 Toyota Yaris iA (mines the 2017 ^---^) is also the same.
The skyactiv mazda 2 is only sold overseas, not in the US. Scion (before Toyota yeeted that whole division) said "Hey that's a cool car, can we take it and make it look angry and a bit like the current actually made by Toyota, Toyota yaris, and sell it here in the US?" and Mazda was like "sure thing bro".

After Scion died, Toyota rebranded it as the Yaris iA(different than the Toyota made Yaris, keep that in mind when ordering replacement parts and such) for two years with only a base model for 2017 - 2018. In 2019 they dropped the iA, called it just the yaris, and made three different trims. You can spot them because they won't have the iA. They also introduced fog lights and a tiny bebe spoiler to some of those trims I believe. After 2020, they got discontinued due to poor sales. :( fat Americans don't fit in em I guess. There was also a hatchback 2020 version, which I feel you'd be interested in since you spoke about the Honda Fit.

Now to get into the complexities (yaaay).
The overseas mazda 2 is slightly different. For whatever reason, mazda decided US gas was trash, and detuned it so it could run on regular instead of premium gas like in other markets. In certain markets it also runs a slightly higher compression ratio of 13:1 vs the US 12:1. On the bright side, this probably means if you take good care of it, I see these engines lasting 200k miles. I've seen some make it about that far. I have heard of transmission issues tho so don't skimp on the maintenance. It's also called the Mazda demio in some markets, keep that in mind when looking for parts.

To get into even more complexities, the Mazda 2 skyactiv outside the US has three different engines, and in various tunes. The skyactiv 1.5L Gas(the one the our cars), the skyactiv 1.3L gas (tiny bebe engine), and the 1.5L skyactiv diesel engine.
The 1.5L gas and diesel ones make about the same power but the diesel has more tuning options since it has a turbo. More diesels have a turbo in order to make any real power.
There's also a 4WD (not awd) demio in Japan. Which might I say is lit af.

Can I put performance parts from the 1.5L skyactiv mazda 2 they sell in some markets onto my car?
Maybe lol.
So are they basically the same thing?
Pretty much lol. They have some differences in sound insulation as well. I think the American ones have more.
Are the pre 2014 mazda 2's the same?
No :( which is sad because they seem to have a lot of aftermarket stuff.
Is the Toyota made yaris the same as the skyactiv mazda made yaris?
NOOOO. They are completely different vehicles. Toyota made ones are probably gonna be far cushier with softer suspension if that's ur thing. As well as come with that Toyota reliability.

But yea that's basically it. I have adhd and dive way to fucken deep into this shit.
Did you know the 1.5L mazda miata ND has the same motor as ours? (except not exactly, as it has a much higher compression ratio, a lighter valves and other timing bits, a forged crank, variable valve stuff in the intake and exhaust (our cars only have variable exhaust valves), and other bits and bobs that let it Rev to 7500rpm and make 127hp)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Skyactiv versions of the Mazda 2 (2014+), the Scion iA, and Toyota Yaris 2019-2020, are all, basically (there's a few distinctions but we'll get into it.) the same exact car, minus front end differences on the Mazda vs the Toyota Scion ones.
The 2017-2018 Toyota Yaris iA (mines the 2017 ^---^) is also the same.
The skyactiv mazda 2 is only sold overseas, not in the US. Scion (before Toyota yeeted that whole division) said "Hey that's a cool car, can we take it and make it look angry and a bit like the current actually made by Toyota, Toyota yaris, and sell it here in the US?" and Mazda was like "sure thing bro".

After Scion died, Toyota rebranded it as the Yaris iA(different than the Toyota made Yaris, keep that in mind when ordering replacement parts and such) for two years with only a base model for 2017 - 2018. In 2019 they dropped the iA, called it just the yaris, and made three different trims. You can spot them because they won't have the iA. They also introduced fog lights and a tiny bebe spoiler to some of those trims I believe. After 2020, they got discontinued due to poor sales. :( fat Americans don't fit in em I guess. There was also a hatchback 2020 version, which I feel you'd be interested in since you spoke about the Honda Fit.

Now to get into the complexities (yaaay).
The overseas mazda 2 is slightly different. For whatever reason, mazda decided US gas was trash, and detuned it so it could run on regular instead of premium gas like in other markets. In certain markets it also runs a slightly higher compression ratio of 13:1 vs the US 12:1. On the bright side, this probably means if you take good care of it, I see these engines lasting 200k miles. I've seen some make it about that far. I have heard of transmission issues tho so don't skimp on the maintenance. It's also called the Mazda demio in some markets, keep that in mind when looking for parts.

To get into even more complexities, the Mazda 2 skyactiv outside the US has three different engines, and in various tunes. The skyactiv 1.5L Gas(the one the our cars), the skyactiv 1.3L gas (tiny bebe engine), and the 1.5L skyactiv diesel engine.
The 1.5L gas and diesel ones make about the same power but the diesel has more tuning options since it has a turbo. More diesels have a turbo in order to make any real power.
There's also a 4WD (not awd) demio in Japan. Which might I say is lit af.

Can I put performance parts from the 1.5L skyactiv mazda 2 they sell in some markets onto my car?
Maybe lol.
So are they basically the same thing?
Pretty much lol. They have some differences in sound insulation as well. I think the American ones have more.
Are the pre 2014 mazda 2's the same?
No :( which is sad because they seem to have a lot of aftermarket stuff.
Is the Toyota made yaris the same as the skyactiv mazda made yaris?
NOOOO. They are completely different vehicles. Toyota made ones are probably gonna be far cushier with softer suspension if that's ur thing. As well as come with that Toyota reliability.

But yea that's basically it. I have adhd and dive way to fucken deep into this shit.
Did you know the 1.5L mazda miata ND has the same motor as ours? (except not exactly, as it has a much higher compression ratio, a lighter valves and other timing bits, a forged crank, variable valve stuff in the intake and exhaust (our cars only have variable exhaust valves), and other bits and bobs that let it Rev to 7500rpm and make 127hp)
From my research, Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 is the only part of USA 🇺🇸 where the Mazda 2 was/is sold. So if you need/wanna have one or parts shipped to you, that'd be the best place to look.
Which is strange, I don't know why they'd sell it only there but not in the mainland US, the only logical reason i can think of is $. Puerto Ricans like small japanese cars, esp. for a tiny island where space is limited. But then it makes me think, why wouldn't Mazda sell it in Hawaii or the other US island territories? Or New York City? 🤔

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like my Yaris so much that I sometimes think of replacing it, if need be, by flying to Puerto Rico to buy a Mazda2, then shipping it back to Florida. I was happy to buy the Yaris but would have preferred the Mazda version.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like my Yaris so much that I sometimes think of replacing it, if need be, by flying to Puerto Rico to buy a Mazda2, then shipping it back to Florida. I was happy to buy the Yaris but would have preferred the Mazda version.
I thought the same. Or at least get a Mazda2 front end shipped up.

If it had more power I would do it

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Mazda CX3 is based on Mazda 2, and just adds height and bulk to be a CUV. AWD is optional, though.
Looks like a jacked up 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From my research, Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 is the only part of USA 🇺🇸 where the Mazda 2 was/is sold. So if you need/wanna have one or parts shipped to you, that'd be the best place to look.
Which is strange, I don't know why they'd sell it only there but not in the mainland US, the only logical reason i can think of is $. Puerto Ricans like small japanese cars, esp. for a tiny island where space is limited. But then it makes me think, why wouldn't Mazda sell it in Hawaii or the other US island territories? Or New York City? 🤔
Hawaii is a US State, not a Territory, same with Manhattan island, a part of New York State. Yes, some want PR to be a state or independent country, but that's a whole other topic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hawaii is a US State, not a Territory, same with Manhattan island, a part of New York State. Yes, some want PR to be a state or independent country, but that's a whole other topic.
I think he was saying the Mazda2 would be good for tight places to drive like Hawaii or New York (clearly States) and also the territories such as Guam and the US Virgin Islands.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
US States have different rules for emissions and safety than territories.
Safety is federally regulated, not state, i beleive. Emissions...everyone knows California has the strictest emissions in the country. And even then, most regulations are maintained by the EPA (ALSO Federal. But if you're talking about requirements to pass emissions, that's another story.
One thing i do know, Puerto Rico isn't like Mexico or a third-world country where cars are without catalytic converters. I've been to Puerto Rico. And it's nothing like Mexico. It's actually cleaner than most US states actually and the roads don't have potholes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts