Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after I get some things off my "to do" list, I'm planning to buy a Sapphire manual iA for my everyday commute. Have enjoyed the many interesting owner comments and Scion news here. And like the idea that the real world mpg is better than the manufacturer's estimate.
My question is; does this car have a break-in period before you should be driving at 70+ mph? Want to do it right to keep this car for many miles and years.
One more thing, I was actually intrigue with the Ford Fiesta ST, but dependability and maintenance costs have deterred me away (I'm cheap). And then I drove the iA and it reminded me of my '83 VW GTI; only 90 hp but it was light, maybe 1,800 lbs, and you could toss that around, unlike my 2006 VW GTI which was over 3,000 lbs. Yes weight definitely makes a difference in these small cars.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Per the manual: "No special break-in is necessary but a few precautions in the first 600 miles may add to to performance, economy, and life of vehicle.
¤Do not race the engine
¤Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast for a long period of time
¤Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time
¤Avoid unnecessary hard stops
¤Avoid full-throttle starts"

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why would you be driving over 70 mph on your commute? That is very fast, almost certainly over the speed limit on the highway.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Concerns about breaking in an engine do more with RPM than speed, but of course they go hand in hand. Ultimately you'll want to keep it around 3-4k, maybe a bit more. You just don't want to drive it aggressively.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have stretches here in Maine that are 75mph north of Bangor up to the Canadian border.

I believe there are a handful of isolated highways in the Midwestern United States with no speed limits at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many areas in the Metroplex of Dallas-Fort Worth TX is posted 70 mph. And motorcycle drivers don't have to wear helmets. We're still somewhat free in this state unlike the nanny state of CA.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a feeling a helmet law will eventually come into place, overall it seems like road laws are getting stricter. But one thing that will help riders are self driving cars which I bet will pick up on motorcycle riders far more than most drivers can.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Many areas in the Metroplex of Dallas-Fort Worth TX is posted 70 mph. And motorcycle drivers don't have to wear helmets. We're still somewhat free in this state unlike the nanny state of CA.
I don't really see my freedom being limited through having to wear a helmet. The government has a duty to protect its citizens. My conception of freedom is probably different from yours.

If CA has less motorcycle deaths, is your response simply that at least the people who died in Texas died free?

·
Registered
401 Posts
The way some people see it is if the system can regulate choice like that, where do they stop? It starts to get concerning.

But when it comes to safety, i'm okay with helmet regulations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can't fix stupid if they don't want to wear a helmet but it should be up to the "free" private citizen and not the government to dictate or regulate that person's "choice" on how to live his/her life. A lot of motorcycle drivers don't like helmets because it hampers their peripheral vision.
I would always wear a helmet on the street or in the dirt. But leave it up to the person to make that decision, not the nanny state. That is the freedom I'm talking about.
Give the government an inch and they'll take a mile....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another way to look at it is it could come back to the govenment if there's no reg for something like that which is implemented throughout a lot of places. So it's something to consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it finally happened; took delivery of my Sterling 6spd. manual today from Family Toyota in Burleson, TX. I already got TX approved window tint and have splash guards, rear bumper protector, and arm rest on order. Got to do a lengthy test drive in it by myself last weekend to show my wife and on the ride back to the dealer, I missed my exit, continued down the road doing 70+mph, tunes were up, then noticed I missed my exit about 10 or so miles back....lol.

This car is amazing to say the least like many of you have expounded here. The light weight, Mazda Zoom Zoom, makes for a fun ride. I will try to maintain mph, etc, until I hit that magic "600" miles but it's going to be tough.

Happy to be here to read and learn from other iA owners. Thanks for your insights before hand.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well it finally happened; took delivery of my Sterling 6spd. manual today from Family Toyota in Burleson, TX. I already got TX approved window tint and have splash guards, rear bumper protector, and arm rest on order. Got to do a lengthy test drive in it by myself last weekend to show my wife and on the ride back to the dealer, I missed my exit, continued down the road doing 70+mph, tunes were up, then noticed I missed my exit about 10 or so miles back....lol.

This car is amazing to say the least like many of you have expounded here. The light weight, Mazda Zoom Zoom, makes for a fun ride. I will try to maintain mph, etc, until I hit that magic "600" miles but it's going to be tough.

Happy to be here to read and learn from other iA owners. Thanks for your insights before hand.
What was your net price for it =]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts