• iA

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • iM

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
After test driving them both back-to-back, I'd strongly recommend the iA over the iM. I had the opportunity to drive them on a track, and the iM handled noticeably worse compared to the iA. I mainly attribute its lightness to this. Also, I remember the clutch being much more tricky and less linear on the iM. Lastly, the visibility was a lot worse. Considering all these factors and the iA being almost $3k cheaper, I went with the iA. It's so much fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission, and this is coming from a BMW 335i owner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd pick the iA over the iM but haven't driven either of them. It's mostly the fact that the iA is a smaller rig, less expensive and I've been told it's fun to drive. That's enough right there to pick it over the iM. The look of the iM should appeal to those who might want a "Corolla wagon", though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
iA, that's why i'm on this forum after all Lol.

owning an iM would be cool but I don't need the space and since the iA exceeds my needs slightly, on the plus side I will benefit from a more nimble vehicle and one that's probably is more fun to drive around. It was built by Mazda after all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After test driving them both back-to-back, I'd strongly recommend the iA over the iM. I had the opportunity to drive them on a track, and the iM handled noticeably worse compared to the iA. I mainly attribute its lightness to this. Also, I remember the clutch being much more tricky and less linear on the iM. Lastly, the visibility was a lot worse. Considering all these factors and the iA being almost $3k cheaper, I went with the iA. It's so much fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission, and this is coming from a BMW 335i owner.
Thanks TheBuck56!

Glad to hear about some track experience on both of the cars for comparison! :D

Do you still own the 335i?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd pick the iA over the iM but haven't driven either of them. It's mostly the fact that the iA is a smaller rig, less expensive and I've been told it's fun to drive. That's enough right there to pick it over the iM. The look of the iM should appeal to those who might want a "Corolla wagon", though.
Yeah, I like how compact the car is compared to the iM.

Are you going to buy the iA?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I like how compact the car is compared to the iM.

Are you going to buy the iA?

I'm just driving my '11 Kia Soul 5-speed with a little over 60,000 miles on it and enjoying it. I might buy a newer Kia Soul, I'm also looking at the 2017 Mitsubishi G4 and Mirage and the 2016 Chevy Spark. Though I am thinking that the only car in the above list that would be good for me would be another Soul.

Now, the Scion iA/Toyota Yaris - if it does get called the Yaris I can handle it - this new Scion sedan really gives you the old "bang for the buck" that goes back to my Dad's time with cars - say the 1962 Dodge Dart 440 with the slant 6 - 215 c.i. and automatic push-button transmission...back then the Big 3 American automakers were really into gut-wrenching competition with each other. The new '16 iA is chock full of nice safety items - no Android Auto yet but that bridge can be crossed when I come to it - right? I really like the car and I'm starting to concentrate on an iA or Yaris of my own in a few years.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a feeling that the Toyota version of both these vehicles will end up more expensive than the Scion versions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iA, that's why i'm on this forum after all Lol.

owning an iM would be cool but I don't need the space and since the iA exceeds my needs slightly, on the plus side I will benefit from a more nimble vehicle and one that's probably is more fun to drive around. It was built by Mazda after all.
lol :)

why does the iA exceed your needs?

Do you prefer mazda built cars? :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you deciding between one or the other? It's really up to what you're looking for a in a vehicle. The iA won for me since it's pretty much a Mazda 2 and the iM was just ugly and I don't really need the extra trunk space anyways.
Yeah I'm just deciding between the two, I'm leaning towards the iA. Is it really like the Mazda 2? like specs wise?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well the Scion iA is a Mazda 2 sedan, just rebadged as a Toyota and Scion, going forward only as a Toyota since the Scion brand is heading to the chopping block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know, as I currently drive a mazda 6 and i love it.

That makes me lean more towards the iA for the that reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frankly, it's the best bang-for-the buck "cheap" car you can get right, especially if you want fuel efficiency without feeling like you're driving a mo-ped. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frankly, it's the best bang-for-the buck "cheap" car you can get right, especially if you want fuel efficiency without feeling like you're driving a mo-ped. :D
You're right!

It's practical, affordable, fuel efficiency and looks spacious from the photo!

However, I haven't seen it in Canada??? I should call and check with the dealer sometime this week to find out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I watched a review for the base model Yaris 2017 model yesterday, low and behold it did not have the navigation infotainment but only a radio??

·
Registered
97 Posts
I watched a review for the base model Yaris 2017 model yesterday, low and behold it did not have the navigation infotainment but only a radio???

Did the car look like the Scion iA for 2016? How can it already be ready to review?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My understanding is that it'll be exactly like what's being offered in Canada for 2016: Two trims, with the lower trim removing the backup camera, alloy wheels (swapping with rims!), two speakers, and the infotainment system. The premium trim appears to have everything the Scion has with heated seats and fog lights added.

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/yaris-sedan/overview

1 - 20 of 22 Posts