Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've posted about it before. But it's a noise when letting the clutch out. It sounds like a tractor trailer or city bus breaks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wait for a big storm then park it in an area prone to flooding... insurance covers it and your rates don't change like they would with an accident.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My keep makes almost the same noise, and I figured out what it is the day I got it... it's the clutch slave cylinder, the iA could have the same problem. With my jeep it's also only loud enough to be heard when you let it out in first, but I think it's just because the exhaust and road noise block it out with the other gears. There's something inside of it that isn't right so it has something inside of it rubbing making the noise... to see if it's the same thing as with my jeep, put it up on a lift or jack stands and have someone get the tires rolling in first and listen to the slave cylinder through a garden hose when they're letting out the clutch. That's how I figured it out anyway, I'm sure there's other ways too, but if it's something external other than the slave cylinder then you could probably still find it that way... just a thought...

·
Registered
204 Posts
My keep makes almost the same noise, and I figured out what it is the day I got it... it's the clutch slave cylinder, the iA could have the same problem. With my jeep it's also only loud enough to be heard when you let it out in first, but I think it's just because the exhaust and road noise block it out with the other gears. There's something inside of it that isn't right so it has something inside of it rubbing making the noise... to see if it's the same thing as with my jeep, put it up on a lift or jack stands and have someone get the tires rolling in first and listen to the slave cylinder through a garden hose when they're letting out the clutch. That's how I figured it out anyway, I'm sure there's other ways too, but if it's something external other than the slave cylinder then you could probably still find it that way... just a thought...
**Jeep not keep

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am too starting to hate my iA. Wind noise on the highway, gets pushed around by the wind so people think i am a distracted driver. Got pulled over twice for that. Cops understood what I was talking about. Audio sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm on the opposite end. I love my little car more and more. Maybe it's because this is my first ever car. Maybe it's because in the time that my car was in the shop, I've driven a camry, a Rav4, and a Nissan rogue. They were all horrible to drive, the Rogue was the worst. I do wish the car had a little more power and Toyota didn't uglify the grille so badly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is weird is that I hate it but I love it. I definitely hate the tires. The sound system is horrid but the sound itself its excellent. The MPG is great. I still get the shudder on the clutch but realized it does it more when outside temp goes above 75.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wind noise isn't any worse than my Outback Sport. Way better than my MR2 Spyder. Also my iA doesn't get pushed around by the wind anymore than any other car I have owned and far less than my MR2 got pushed around. Audio is better than I expected for this price point. And I like the Mazda infotainment system more than the standard Toyota version.

Have to agree that I do hate the tires/rims. I understand the hill assist being invasive starting uphill in first, but I feel it engage sometimes going from first to second. Anyone know if it can be disabled?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started hating my car after 200 miles of driving it. I now have almost 15k. I sold my 2008 Yaris Hatchback because I needed a 4 door and I want stick shift that can do 40 MPG with zero APR.

Here are the things I don't like about it.

1. 1st to 2nd gear slight grind.
2. 2nd to Neutral position: You have to physically move the shifter to neutral. It wont go to neutral position if you just push the shifter to neutral. You have to find it.
(I took the car to the dealership last year and they said there's nothing wrong with it but now that I have time, I'm getting it checked at the end of the month.)
3. Cross wind is terrible in this car. It is so hard to keep it straight!
4. Absolutely no room in the back for an infant car seat if you have passenger in the front.
5. Push start. If you're listening to your radio while on ACC., it will turn off on its own after maybe 15 minutes. It sucks when watching movies at the Drive Inn during summer with my 4 year old. I have to go inside the car and press the start button.
6. Cold start is LOUD. Sounds like there's an exhaust leak!
7. Sun visor. Doesn't extend to block the side from the side window.
8. If you're standing on the rear quarter panel about 20' away from the car and you're trying to open your car, you wouldn't know if its open because you can't see the blinkers from this angle.
9. Cup holders: None in the back.
10. No cabin light in the back. Just the ones in the front.
11. Car did NOT shut down or give reminder if you leave 50 feet away from the car with the keys with you. (My wife dropped me off and drove 50' away to park the car. The only reason why she found out was because she needed to lock it.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just the opposite here

I started hating my car after 200 miles of driving it. I now have almost 15k. I sold my 2008 Yaris Hatchback because I needed a 4 door and I want stick shift that can do 40 MPG with zero APR.

Here are the things I don't like about it.

1. 1st to 2nd gear slight grind.
2. 2nd to Neutral position: You have to physically move the shifter to neutral. It wont go to neutral position if you just push the shifter to neutral. You have to find it.
(I took the car to the dealership last year and they said there's nothing wrong with it but now that I have time, I'm getting it checked at the end of the month.)
3. Cross wind is terrible in this car. It is so hard to keep it straight!
4. Absolutely no room in the back for an infant car seat if you have passenger in the front.
5. Push start. If you're listening to your radio while on ACC., it will turn off on its own after maybe 15 minutes. It sucks when watching movies at the Drive Inn during summer with my 4 year old. I have to go inside the car and press the start button.
6. Cold start is LOUD. Sounds like there's an exhaust leak!
7. Sun visor. Doesn't extend to block the side from the side window.
8. If you're standing on the rear quarter panel about 20' away from the car and you're trying to open your car, you wouldn't know if its open because you can't see the blinkers from this angle.
9. Cup holders: None in the back.
10. No cabin light in the back. Just the ones in the front.
11. Car did NOT shut down or give reminder if you leave 50 feet away from the car with the keys with you. (My wife dropped me off and drove 50' away to park the car. The only reason why she found out was because she needed to lock it.)
Guess everybody's expectations, likes, dislikes are different.

I LOVE everything about my little '17 leftover. Cheap, basic, and ultra-reliable transportation was what I wanted, and that's exactly what I got, and at a great OTD price, too. No problems/issues at all. She's a keeper, AFAIC. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've seen several people recently having transmission issues. Typically they are getting a loud idle noise on automatic transmissions when they are at a stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it the audio? Get a flash drive, put some good MP3 music on it, and give it a try.
Mine seems to have an issue with tuning radio to be on station. Turns out, Scion IA/Yaris IA are built in Mexico. In Mexico the end of station numbers are all even, in the US they end in an Odd number. One must turn on the navigation to let it figure out which country it is in, then it will better tune to stations. and, it is still not very good, but much better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My SD card isn't being read by the system. I've tried multiple SD cards. The disc rotors and brakes constantly need to be resurfaced due to noise. I never had to do that. Even if I did, it wouldn't as terrible as it does currently in cold weather.

As people mentioned, cold startup sound is painful. The custom tire size was a pain to find a decent price. The tech interface is amazing but the audio speakers can't be pushed to their limits. I personally upgraded the speakers in the doors myself (same size, just premium material, barely any change. the problem is a popping noise at high volumes. this sucks since bluetooth requires higher volume to make up for the loss in volume from transmission of data).

The sensitive passenger weight/seatbelt warning is annoying but I know that isn't just our Scion iA's. That is pretty much any new car.

I don't notice the wind pushing my car really. Maybe its where I live (Los Angeles being not that windy).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also my inner door seal mouldings are falling off and I'm at 45k not too mention the loud squeals from the engine bay at startup that the stealer cant seem to here..but i shouldn't expect too much from the car considering it was 12k but I don't expect it too last too long with the direct injection carbon fouling problems

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh and countless brake rotors they keep getting warped maybe it needs bigger brakes and disc brakes in the rear.. I don't understand why a car manufactured in This day and age doesn't have disc brakes all the way around..or halogen projectors at least I mean the base model corolla has led headlights standard

·
Registered
147 Posts
indeed it's cold star is loud and unpleasant- because engine compartment and bonnet/hood has no insulation. I'm going to install one soon, so it would sound more expensive car :). Other then that- no problems- I like it very much! Well i did replace muffler, lowered it and replaced factory ugly wheels, tinted it, did vinyl black roof, install armrest, cold air intake. Swing bar/tower brace on the way. Transmision is fantastic and very forgiving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts