Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello team,

I installed Android Auto like 2 weeks ago. It works like a charm! I also loaded other mods like touchscreen available while driving, no boot screen, no beeps, a video player, phone screen mirroring, different background, etc.

FYI for iPhone users: There's no hack available for Apple CarPlay...

Go to www.mazdatweaks.com for complete instructions on how to do this super easy mod. I was done within 30 mins. All I needed was a USB drive and obviously to install Android Auto on my phone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my iA a couple days ago and I'm interested in getting more control over the display. The mazdatweaks software looks like just what I'd want, but I'd like a little more certainty about it before I jump in.

joelg1988, anything more to say about it after a couple weeks? Anyone else?

I'm guessing that if Toyota wanted to be nasty about it, they could say that tinkering with the display software voids all warranties, even for things unrelated. I'm not sure I'd want to void my seven-year drive train warranty just to be able to use Google Maps. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone

Please help...I have a 2016 toy Scion ia my radio works but my screen is just black when I back up my camera goes in and out. What can I do so I can see the time and and change my radio station

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kerijhunt, it sounds like you accidentally turned the display off. I'm not sure how much will translate from my 2018 instructions to your 2016 model, but my owner's manual says that to turn the display back on, touch the display (I assume you have to be stationary, because touch screen is generally disabled while moving) and move the commander switch (I assume both at the same time).

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't see nothing it's just the black car that shows up then it goes back to black. My radio was working at first now it's just static. Thanks for helping. But it won't let me do nothing. Is there a reset button anywhere?

·
Registered
24 Posts
(I can't send private messages on this forum)

The commander switch is the physical knob/joystick that can be used to move focus on the display. Based on an image I found (but can't post here) of a 2016 iA interior, it looks like it's the silver knob on the console between the driver and passenger seats, to the right of the hand brake.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got my iA a couple days ago and I'm interested in getting more control over the display. The mazdatweaks software looks like just what I'd want, but I'd like a little more certainty about it before I jump in.

joelg1988, anything more to say about it after a couple weeks? Anyone else?

I'm guessing that if Toyota wanted to be nasty about it, they could say that tinkering with the display software voids all warranties, even for things unrelated. I'm not sure I'd want to void my seven-year drive train warranty just to be able to use Google Maps. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
After having Android Auto installed for about a month now, I can say that everything is working perfect and just to let you know THERE IS a way to go back to stock if you ever want to take the car to the stealership. You can't tell if Android Auto is installed unless you go to the Apps tab.

I did a lot of investigation before installing Android Auto and all I can say the guys that created this tweak are very smart and techie and thing works exactly as they planned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I seem to have successfully installed the tweaks.

Note for anyone else, the Infotainment display goes through normal start-up cycle before the MZD-AIO screen comes up; I was expecting something more like a bootstrap intercept.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not able to get Android Auto to work on my iA.

I've tried to look through the mazda3revolution forum posts on the matter, but I quickly ran into their "you need to register in order to view more pages" block, coupled with the unhelpful fact that their registration page doesn't work. So I can look at a few pages at a time with an incognito chrome window.

In what I've been able to get to, there have been some suggestions that what phone you are using can be significant. Specifically, I think there was one exchange where someone asked spadival (the AA port developer) to add his phone type to the application, which spadival did. Anyone know anything about this? I have a Moto x4 on Google Project Fi.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for response, joelg1988.

I think the issue is that I have Android 8.1 -- see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/Update-to-8-1-broke-Android-auto/td-p/4066135

Still looking through that to see if there is a resolution that will work for me.

Anyway, AA will open when phone is connected by USB to vehicle upon vehicle start, so there is some communication going on. It works on the phone itself.

Will post what I find with regard to 8.1; likely to become a widespread issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Next update: it looks like turning screen lock off will fix the problem, and that even after connecting with lock off you can turn lock back on and it will continue to work ... until the next time you reboot the phone. Also, one post suggested that a May security patch (my phone is version OPW28.1 with an April 1, 2018 security patch, so I assume I have not gotten this patch yet; Google tends to roll out updates slowly at first to make sure nothing blows up on them) fixes it completely.

I don't like the idea of having screen lock off, but I guess that it's not too big a deal for me. I'll try that later on and report. If it works, I'll see about turning it back on after connecting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for response, joelg1988.

I think the issue is that I have Android 8.1 -- see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/Update-to-8-1-broke-Android-auto/td-p/4066135

Still looking through that to see if there is a resolution that will work for me.

Anyway, AA will open when phone is connected by USB to vehicle upon vehicle start, so there is some communication going on. It works on the phone itself.

Will post what I find with regard to 8.1; likely to become a widespread issue.
Clarification for this:

Anyway, AA will open ON PHONE when phone is connected by USB to vehicle upon vehicle start, so there is some communication going on.

Nothing happens on car display, and when I go on Infotainment to Appications and click on Android Auto, I can bring up a start screen for AA, but it freezes there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clarification for this:

Anyway, AA will open ON PHONE when phone is connected by USB to vehicle upon vehicle start, so there is some communication going on.

Nothing happens on car display, and when I go on Infotainment to Appications and click on Android Auto, I can bring up a start screen for AA, but it freezes there.
I'll check if my girlfriends Pixel XL is running 8.0 or 8.1 (I know for sure she's running at least 8.0), I don't know if she even updates her phone or just declines updates, but it definitely works and communicates no problem with infotainment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
AA works like a charm for me when I turn off screen lock. Very slick app, and kudos to the developers who ported it. Forgot to try with phone re-locked; will give it a try tomorrow.

I think the 8.1 issue might be exclusive to Moto x4: I tried to get results for searches without anything pointing to x4, but most of the results still had x4 references.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts