Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys! I am a new member here looking for information and advice about the Yaris IA. I currently share a G37 with a family member, and now planning on purchasing my first vehicle because I got a part time job. I live in the Central Coast in California and commute to school, work, personal errands almost everyday. I put the IA on my shopping list because it is well within my price range, and the styling really looks good to me. I just have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can answer honestly. I have talked to a sales person in Toyota, and of course he had all positive things to say about the car. I just want an honest non biased answers from actual owners.

1) How is the IA's gas mileage when it is driven hard? Here in California you have to be aggressive to get to your destination. I commute during rush hour traffic and you have to go 85 mph even in the slow lane, otherwise you would be tale gated or cut off. I know the IA will get up to 40 mpg with a light foot going 65 mph, but how about full throttle runs and high speed?

2) Is the IA's hp enough to keep up and pass in traffic? I read somewhere that 0-60 is around 10 sec. I have driven a Mazda B2300 pick up truck and it was terrifyingly under powered in the free way. Going full throttle and getting no where close to the speed limit was very uncomfortable because I am used to the G37's acceleration.

3) How cold is the car's AC? It gets very hot and humid here in CA and I am wondering if the AC is strong enough to cool down the cabin.

4) How reliable and how much is the cost of maintenance or repair for the IA? Have any of you guys had any issues with the car and how much is the maintenance cost for the IA? I really want to know if the IA will save me money compared to the G37 or other cars. The IA is a subcompact so I assume tires and other consumables will be cheaper.

That is all the questions I have for now. I took a look the IA, but I decided to put off a test drive. Other cars I am considering is the Camry V6, Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, or the Mazda CX3 ( small SUV). Thank you for your time and responses in advanced!

·
Registered
44 Posts
1) You'll probably get around 36-38 mpg with spirited driving.

2) The iA is a get in a lane and stay in it kind of car unless you have plenty of room to pass and downshift. I own a manual and can downshift to 4th at 70mph to get some of that torque to pass people. The automatic has a manual mode that lets you shift yourself. With only 106hp you're going to be one of the lowest hp cars out there.

3) Cars AC seems pretty good. I'd recommend tinting the windows to help keep the car cool when its hot.

4) Very reliable. Almost 26k miles since 2016 and no issues. Only maintenance costs are scheduled oil changes and maintenance.

The Mazda CX3 is built on the same platform as the iA but is about 400lbs more but has about 30 more hp. Both would drive similarly and the iA drives very well. You may want to also check out a used Mazda 3 or Mazda 3 GT. The Mazda 3 GT has 185hp. More than enough to get you around traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for responding. Is the forums really that inactive? Anyway I decided to focus on the Ia or Mazda 3 more. Last night I filled out the G37 and calculated 17 mpg. My trip had 240 miles and cost $45 to fill up full tank. Pretty costly, and I can imagine it would cost half to fill up the Ia lol. Does the Mazda 3 and Scion IA share the same engine? After doing more research I am sort of leaning to the Mazda 3 because some are made in Japan or the US. I read that the Ia was made in Mexico and there are quality issues. I am still deciding and will test drive the Ia the first chance I get. Hope to hear more input and thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey thanks for responding. Is the forums really that inactive? Anyway I decided to focus on the Ia or Mazda 3 more. Last night I filled out the G37 and calculated 17 mpg. My trip had 240 miles and cost $45 to fill up full tank. Pretty costly, and I can imagine it would cost half to fill up the Ia lol. Does the Mazda 3 and Scion IA share the same engine? After doing more research I am sort of leaning to the Mazda 3 because some are made in Japan or the US. I read that the Ia was made in Mexico and there are quality issues. I am still deciding and will test drive the Ia the first chance I get. Hope to hear more input and thoughts. Thanks.
Two great cars. I personally haven't test driven the Mazda 3 but if its anything like the iA but with more power I definitely wouldn't complain. The base model Mazda 3 uses a 2.0 liter SkyActive engine pushing out 155 hp and 150 torque. If you go with the GT model you get 184 horsepower and 185 torque. If I was shopping for a 3 I would definitely go with a used GT. The iA uses a 1.5 liter SkyActive engine pushing out 106 hp and 105 torque. The iA only weighs around 2400lbs while the base 3 weighs around 3100lbs.

If money is tight and you're concerned about gas I'd go with either the iA or 3. If you know how to drive manual I'd definitely go with a manual. The small inline 4 in the iA likes to be driven hard and has a really rewarding engine note especially when paired with a cold air intake. If you don't drive manual I'd probably lean towards the 3 because of the added power.

Another thing to note, the iA is a bit of a misnomer. Companies aren't really developing mods for it. The Mazda 3 has quite a bit more in mods built specifically for that. Had I known this prior I probably would have gone with a 3, however, having since lowered my car on coilovers and added the cold air intake I really enjoy the driving experience of this little car. I grow more fond of it every day and look forward to driving it on my way home from work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you don't mind used.. Go for a used 3 gt, you can get one pretty cheap. Lower than a new ia.. try auto tempest, Edmunds etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sincerely look at a Toyota Prius, perhaps the non-hybrid. Which I have not owned, but it is a thoroughly built Toyota, by Toyota.

I bought a new 2016 Scion IA. I took it back the next day with the problem of the car drives to drift left, more pronounced on acceleration. Two years later and I still have problem. This was also an issue with Mazda 2. Realize that this is a partially redesigned Mazda 2 which Toyota has a applied the corporate trick of putting their logo on a vehicle they did not design or choose parts for with the intent of maximizing their profit on the sale.

Keep in mind that the Mazda Two, was the car Mazda choose not to build. I would never have bought a Mazda because they have a long history of building cars with some new engineering, technology that is not really quite perfected enough to do more than create a constant problem for those who buy their cars.

One must constantly fight the car to keep it from going into oncoming traffic. For those who think that having a car that requires constant steering readjustment, bringing the car back into line, is like race car driving, they are wrong.. I drove an MGB for three years, I know what good steering is. The IA front end, designed by Toyota, has not good for me.

I am on Social Security and can not afford to trade this in for another car. Several years ago I would have said by a Toyota actually built by Toyota, even if it is built in Japan. Now I have to think that corporate greed is so dominating the mentality of Toyota that they will not produce quality cars in the future. And no, I do not know any manufacturer that is any better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sincerely look at a Toyota Prius, perhaps the non-hybrid. Which I have not owned, but it is a thoroughly built Toyota, by Toyota.

I bought a new 2016 Scion IA. I took it back the next day with the problem of the car drives to drift left, more pronounced on acceleration. Two years later and I still have problem. This was also an issue with Mazda 2. Realize that this is a partially redesigned Mazda 2 which Toyota has a applied the corporate trick of putting their logo on a vehicle they did not design or choose parts for with the intent of maximizing their profit on the sale.

Keep in mind that the Mazda Two, was the car Mazda choose not to build. I would never have bought a Mazda because they have a long history of building cars with some new engineering, technology that is not really quite perfected enough to do more than create a constant problem for those who buy their cars.

One must constantly fight the car to keep it from going into oncoming traffic. For those who think that having a car that requires constant steering readjustment, bringing the car back into line, is like race car driving, they are wrong.. I drove an MGB for three years, I know what good steering is. The IA front end, designed by Toyota, has not good for me.

I am on Social Security and can not afford to trade this in for another car. Several years ago I would have said by a Toyota actually built by Toyota, even if it is built in Japan. Now I have to think that corporate greed is so dominating the mentality of Toyota that they will not produce quality cars in the future. And no, I do not know any manufacturer that is any better.
I don't know about Mazda's history with engineering and other issues, but I can assure you, the car isn't supposed to constantly drift left. Mine steers fine and I do need to make tiny corrections to go straight but that's how it' been for every car I've driven (2017 Elantra, 2016 Nissan Rogue, 2014 Camry, 2003 Civic, 2011 and 2013 GTI). The only real issues I find in this car is the hideous front end, and the lack of power. Steering, however, is great for a modern, electric powered steering system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mazda 2 sedan was build in 2015 and it is all around the world. SkyActiv 1.5 liter engine was detuned for US market for greater fuel economy and it came out as scion ia and now it is toyota ia. It can be turned back to some 140 hp, but then do not expect not 33 plus mpg. Anyway jus get ford truck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
There two types of prius - hybrid or fully electric. So what are you talking about? Seams like you completely lost your bearings, I'm so sorry for the people around you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good evening once again. I have been doing more research and came across Mazda 3 threads. It surprised me because a lot of owners of the Mazda 3 2.0 claim that they do not get the great gas mileage Mazda has promised. From what I understand the 1.5 in the IA is pretty much the same motor as the 2.0 Sky active with just a smaller displacement. I rode in a Mazda 3 and was pretty impressed with the ride. Power is down compared to the G and you really have to drive the engine hard to make some real power. This brings me to my next question about the IA. I am pretty sure you have to drive the IA hard to get it going. Does that affect any of your gas mileage at all? As I said earlier, I live in CA and it is almost impossible to drive conservatively. With full throttle runs and keeping the engine at high rpm, wont this result in not getting good gas mileage? My last question of the night is who has the most mileage so far?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good evening once again. I have been doing more research and came across Mazda 3 threads. It surprised me because a lot of owners of the Mazda 3 2.0 claim that they do not get the great gas mileage Mazda has promised. From what I understand the 1.5 in the IA is pretty much the same motor as the 2.0 Sky active with just a smaller displacement. I rode in a Mazda 3 and was pretty impressed with the ride. Power is down compared to the G and you really have to drive the engine hard to make some real power. This brings me to my next question about the IA. I am pretty sure you have to drive the IA hard to get it going. Does that affect any of your gas mileage at all? As I said earlier, I live in CA and it is almost impossible to drive conservatively. With full throttle runs and keeping the engine at high rpm, wont this result in not getting good gas mileage? My last question of the night is who has the most mileage so far?
I average 41.7 mpg, with a mix of spirited and relaxed driving. I don't typically take it up past 65mph because my commute is on country back roads. I drive a 6 speed manual. Typically I'll take the revs to about 4 or 5k before I shift, the thing is I have to downshift all the time when needing more power. Going up hills behind traffic means I need to downshift from 6th to 4th or sometimes even 3rd.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in a smaller-ish city in NorCal. I don't hypermile, I just drive how I feel like. I'm not exactly hard on the gas pedal either but definitely not gentle. My driving is 90% city driving and with that, my estimated average mileage is usually around 25 to 29, compared to the rated 30 mpg from Toyota. I don't drive on the freeway nearly as much to get an accurate estimation for highway mileage. The car is seriously underpowered and you do have to push a bit harder on the gas to accelerate up to speed in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise, if you're hypermiling in this car, you'll hold up traffic, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. I live in the Central Coast in California and it is impossible to hyper mile here lol. My commute is to school and work and I mostly drive in the city, but often in the highway as well. Traffic in the city here is terrible. A lot of idling in the red light and slow (15 MPH) driving. The freeway is also like this, but most of the time 85 MPH is the normal speed. I currently get around 16 - 17mpg with my G37, but I am pretty sure I wont get past 30mpg wit the IA. Really sucks, but I still have to test drive the car and think about it well. I think most of you guys who get 35mpg plus live in less traffic and generally have a longer commute. The problem about my commute is that it is too short and we have cold and crappy weather. I read somewhere that these factors contribute to lower gas mileage. The G37 is rated a bit higher, I think around 19 mpg city and 27 mpg highway, but I am no where getting close to that. Do you guys use cruise control often? I also heard that using CC is the key to getting the best MPG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in a smaller-ish city in NorCal. I don't hypermile, I just drive how I feel like. I'm not exactly hard on the gas pedal either but definitely not gentle. My driving is 90% city driving and with that, my estimated average mileage is usually around 25 to 29, compared to the rated 30 mpg from Toyota. I don't drive on the freeway nearly as much to get an accurate estimation for highway mileage. The car is seriously underpowered and you do have to push a bit harder on the gas to accelerate up to speed in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise, if you're hypermiling in this car, you'll hold up traffic, lol.
Lol! I imagine here in the Central Coast I would be driving the living **** out of that small 1.5 engine. It is simply impossible to drive conservatively. If you do, you will be either tail gated or cut off. It is funny because I bet the Priuses here do not get that great mileage. I always see them flying by 90 MPH in the fast lane!

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you're coming from a g37 you'd be better off getting a si or used civic ext...i only get 35mpg not really worth it too me for how small it is and then the reliability is eh I have 45k on mine you can see my posts for the problems I have

1 - 19 of 19 Posts