Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im not one to complain about drum brakes, they amazing and work very well. But id rather have disk brakes is it known yet if something will bolt on, or is it still way too new for that? Haha

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it possible? Yes. Cheap? No. Necessary?.... hmm. I had a 2011 Mazda 2 before this car (the iA is essentially the newest [4th] generation Mazda 2) and it also had drum brakes. What I have noticed is disks are great for these honker big suvs and heavy cars. But with a 2400lb car, having disks is really not necessary.

Either way - there were a few kits that came out for the last gen [3rd Gen] Mazda 2 and they MIGHT be able to fit on the iA.
Here is one:
http://goldcoastautomotive.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=gold-coast-automotive&item=52692

Edit: Since the iA shares a platform with the Mazda CX-3, you MIGHT be able to do a "big brake" swap using its brakes. But since its a 5 lug, it would require a switch to the 5-lug hubs or redrilling of the rotors...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you planning to do anything with your iA that calls for more aggressive brakes?

People that plan to take it to the track might have a burning need to go with rotors.

What's funny is that even this Tacoma has rear hubs...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to autocross it, and maybe track days, I just like disk for the stopping power, miatas are all disk and are lighter weight

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have you thought about getting stickier pads for the front along with upgrading the rears?

Starting to think of what models we can pull brakes from for a conversion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the brakes so far, i might go ceramic for power and little fade if i need it, my camaro has semi metallics upfront, and ceramics in back

Reactions: Moe

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good call might as well put the stocks to the test to see what they can do.

Have you started shopping for wheels and tires to put on your iA for those events? I know tires can be really important.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found f1r f01 in purple, i loe the look, and i want to run 205/50-16 yokohama s-drive tires

1 - 8 of 8 Posts