Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short and to the point from Jalopnik that praises the Scion iA as a fun car for it's price point.

Michael Ballaban listed the things he did and didn't like about the Scion iA.

-Has both analog and touchscreen controls
-plenty of interior room

Dislikes:
-Lack of navigation even with the Nav button there. Taunting you until you get the $419 SD card.
-Dim headlights
-No armrest

The comments are an interesting read if you have the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like the armrest is a big deal to everyone, Toyota needs to take note of this.
This is unacceptable. I will not buy a car that does not have both armrests for the driver #savethearmrests
I don't mind if the headlights aren't bright enough. bulbs can be changed out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is especially when just about every car out there has an arm rest, so not having it is a big surprise and it's not easy to get used to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems like the armrest is a big deal to everyone, Toyota needs to take note of this.

I don't mind if the headlights aren't bright enough. bulbs can be changed out.
FWIW, I actually am glad it doesn't have an armrest. It's a small car and I appreciate the extra space, so I hope they continue to keep it as an accessory. They definitely could advertise it more though.

And I don't mind the headlights. I actually dread driving my wife's Crosstrek at night because I am constantly flashed by oncoming traffic, thinking I have the brights on (We have had them adjusted twice and are supposedly to the lowest setting).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are those OEM Crosstrek headlights that gets you flashed all the time?
Yep.... Totally stock. Canadian Crosstreks got projector HIDs, but here in the US, we got xenons only and they are pretty bright and not really well focused.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wonder why the difference between the two markets. Seems like seeing things is equally important in each market. Are the regulations different or something?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess. Maybe? All I know is, I wince everytime I see an oncoming car at night because about 30% flash their lights thinking the high beams are on. So I'm pretty happy with the iAs lights in comparison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
An arm rest would making accessing the command center difficult. Without one there, your arm can comfortable lay as attended to control the command center. I don't even notice that I don't have an armrest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I think that the command center knob renders an armrest not only useless but very annoying to have. Thanks for pointing that ergonomic out for me, I appreciate it. It would no doubt have become obvious on a simple test drive anyway, but still.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the arm rest and it is a welcome addition to the vehicle if you are on long trips. Although not necessary it is nice.. Keep in mind it can always be lifted up and out of your way if you choose. Actually I think that the command center is really not all that compromised, you would be surprized how easily you hand can locate things after a bit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the arm rest and it is a welcome addition to the vehicle if you are on long trips. Although not necessary it is nice.. Keep in mind it can always be lifted up and out of your way if you choose. Actually I think that the command center is really not all that compromised, you would be surprized how easily you hand can locate things after a bit.

I will purchase one aftermarket if I want one and put it in. I know Scion doesn't offer them but I may order one from Mazda if I decide I want one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, Scion offers an Armrest. Same as Mazda.

Nice. But after researching this car literally for months online I don't have the approval of the better half to buy an iA. I'm just sick - the car is being sold for only $14,395 for the standard transmission. There's negative equity in our '11 Kia Soul 5-spd MT but the dealer was going to pay some of it off for us. I was in the midst of getting a great deal and now this. I need a capable punching bag.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jin - she doesn't want us ta have long-term debt. We already are paying 3 1/2 more years on our 2011 Kia Soul, so, I was going to set up a 60-month note to buy our iA. Oh well - not only did the dealer not have the iA with a 6-speed stick available when I got to Denver, when I got home in SW Kansas my wife had dumped s**& all over my computer chair (it cleaned up well) but she also lip-sticked my monitor's screen. That cleaned off but she made all these nasty deep groove scratches in certain places.

I couldn't believe that crap. I would never ruin s&^% of hers if she wanted to buy something like this. The thing is, we're a one-car couple - she doesn't drive, I am the driver. This car will never be this cheap again ($14,385). I am done. She's totally killed the buzz. It's ridiculous when someone doesn't trust your automotive good sense. I'm screwed as far as getting the car I want. She wants us to save the money and pay cash for an iA.

Thanks Dave Ramsey and Suse Ormon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts