Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Im Andrew. I just joined this forum.
I Just recently bought a 2016 Scion iA!
Was wondering if it's possible to turbo my car?
Sorry i'm new at car knowledge but i'd like to learn.
Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the new car!

It's definitely possible to turbo, but it's not likely easy or cheap. The 12:1 compression ratio is high compared to most turbo cars, the engine/transmission strength is unknown, and to my knowledge, there are zero turbo kits.

So to turbo, it would require a full custom kit, standalone fuel management, and likely strengthening the drivetrain.

Overall, it would make much more sense to get an already turbo car (or one that has ready made kits) if turbo / speed is your goal. Enjoy the iA for what it is; it's a great car to improve on the biggest mod- the driver!

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you already have an idea of how much power you want to get out of the engine? With what's known about the iA, i'm going to guess that around 50hp more is what you'd want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! Yes, so far i really enjoy the car for the MPG! Today i had a shell in my local area in OC. Unleaded for $2.77
Spend $17 for a full tank of gas, that 33/42 MPG does wonders! I guess ill keep it stock, plus it has sport mode already. In the future i would like to have a car with turbo. I also heard its better to buy turbo than to mod turbo?
Also Yes i've had my iA for about a week now.

Here is my baby :)

·
Registered
211 Posts

And only $17 for a full tank of gas! Most cars are overstated when it comes to fuel economy but the Scion iA seems to be delivering on what they have promised buyers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, and the MPG for the car was 33/42. When i was on Manual mode instead of automatic. and turned off Sport mode. My City was 44 and Highway was 70+ mpg according to my MPG gauge on my 7inch screen application (That was with AC on as well).
I know it's a bit slower up shifting gears while driving but the MPG is incredible!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, and the MPG for the car was 33/42. When i was on Manual mode instead of automatic. and turned off Sport mode. My City was 44 and Highway was 70+ mpg according to my MPG gauge on my 7inch screen application (That was with AC on as well).
I know it's a bit slower up shifting gears while driving but the MPG is incredible!
Now that is just amazing and just what I wanted to see out of a gasoline engine and compact sedan. Sure beats having to shell out thousands more to go hybrid. I know some very frugal folks that have went this direction.

Apparently gasoline engines still have quite a way to go in development for better power and fuel efficiency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts