Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at 6700 miles, and the clutch for the last 4-500 miles has been acting up. I noticed when I step on the gas after shifting gears it sounds like the clutch is still pressed down for 2-3 seconds after my foot is off the pedal, and I'm worrying it'll eat up my clutch. I believe this started right about the time it was last at the dealer (6247 miles to be exact, looked at paperwork) because my low tire pressure warning light came on with all the tires properly inflated after about 3 minutes of driving after I was run off the road by a semi truck. I brought it to the dealer for the clutch issue earlier today and they said the car is running and driving fine, even under hard acceleration, and that what I think is a lazy clutch is something the car is supposed to do to "make each gear transition smoother" even though it never happened before it was last at the dealership. The clutch pedal also has more travel before engaging the clutch than it did before.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So today the car started grinding going into second gear when shifting fast (if I drive slow it won't grind though) and I have no clue what could cause this... any ideas? Could it be damage caused from when the car had no trans fluid?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I brought it back to Toyota and had them look into the grinding and they claimed the couldn't replicate it, so I took their master mechanic for a ride and to show him the grinding and the lazy clutch. He said they'll need the car for 3+ days and they'll give me a loaner (another Avalon ?) but he thinks the trans fluid is low again and possibly the hydraulic fluid for the clutch too. For a brand new car, this has had a ton of problems. It's like Jaguar reliability with the cheap feel of a Mazda. I honestly don't think I'll keep it past the bumper to bumper warranty, I don't want to pay for repairs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does yours make a creeking noise out of first too? And no dealerships always try and get out of stuff maybe take it to mazda and have them diagnose it for it 100$ or take it to another yota dealer

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It started with the creaking noise out of first today!! I didn't notice it before, but this morning and a few times this afternoon I heard it. It could be that I haven't heard it because my music is usually too loud though.

I do have an extended warranty, the dealership I went to does 20 year/200k mile power train warranty for free on all new cars/trucks, but the bumper to bumper is only 5 year/50k and I had to pay $550 for the extra coverage, but that's still less than a year for me. I drive 60k+ miles a year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
should had gotten a CVT
I'm not a fan of automatics in the first place, I'm definitely not even considering an automatic car with under 400 hp, the only automatics I really want are trucks. Automatics are just boring to me if they can't handle 20" of water and make it through the woods without a problem

·
Registered
235 Posts
So I brought it back to Toyota and had them look into the grinding and they claimed the couldn't replicate it, so I took their master mechanic for a ride and to show him the grinding and the lazy clutch. He said they'll need the car for 3+ days and they'll give me a loaner (another Avalon ?) but he thinks the trans fluid is low again and possibly the hydraulic fluid for the clutch too. For a brand new car, this has had a ton of problems. It's like Jaguar reliability with the cheap feel of a Mazda. I honestly don't think I'll keep it past the bumper to bumper warranty, I don't want to pay for repairs.
How are they explaining why the trans fluid could be low again. That would indicate a leak (obviously) which shouldn't be happening at all

·
Registered
347 Posts
That creak noise is annoying as shot it makes it sound like a p.o.s but yeah sounds like a lemon time for them to buy you a new car and you're right auto isn't the way to go. Look up your states lemon laws

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so down here I have to notify Toyota of the problems I'm having, problems I've had fixed, and then they have 10 days to fix all problems with the car to my satisfaction or they have to give me a full refund or replacement vehicle. I'll get the form Thursday (being that I have to get it at the DMV and I work tomorrow) and express mail it to Toyota.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I might have to do that too uhh f a didn't dealer can't fix this creaking noise
I had my aunt get the form and drop it off to me at work today, in 13 days I should be problem free or driving a new truck (I miss my V8s, wouldn't mind trying diesel either)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good stuff I might go that route as well after I get a second opinion a different dealer might fix it.
They don't want to replace the car or give me a refund under the lemon law so the car is getting a fresh trans put in it Monday, along with a thorough inspection of everything else and a coat of paint was put on today. It looks new and hopefully it'll drive like new soon too. I talked my way out of an Avalon this time though (for the rental) and I got a Highlander for free

·
Registered
37 Posts
Noticed what you guys are describing as creaking. When I let the clutch out slower I don't get it. Maybe it's something to do with the braking when between brake and clutch engagement for anti roll? Just a hunch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Noticed what you guys are describing as creaking. When I let the clutch out slower I don't get it. Maybe it's something to do with the braking when between brake and clutch engagement for anti roll? Just a hunch.
But it does it on flat surfaces too, hill start assist only kicks in on inclines. Now that you mention it though it probably did happen more when letting the clutch out fast. But it still shouldn't happen. It's a new car and it shouldn't have any issues or any odd noises.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts