Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a Xuji leather steering wheel cover from Ebay and wanted to show the process and the result in case anybody else was interested. I am really pleased with the results! And for only $55, I couldn't be happier.

I saw this item on Amazon and noticed that people were asking if they could customize the thread color and the seller said they could do blue. I searched around on google for the product number and found a picture of the cover with blue thread and thought it would match the iA perfectly! I not sure if I can post a link to where I bought it, but search for Xuji Mazda CX-3 2016. They use the exact same steering wheel for the iA. I sent the seller a message after ordered specifying that I wanted blue thread and they said sure thing. You can also get this from Amazon Prime which lists it for the Scion iA, however it will come with red thread.

It took about 1.5 weeks for the item to arrive from China. The box it came it was very nice. The thread and needle and tape came in a separate box than the cover.

I had read that some people took their steering wheel off to do the wrap, and since I wanted to do it in one night but didn't have enough day light to complete it I went ahead and took off the steering wheel. After finishing, I'm not sure I would want to spend 4 hours in my car turning the wheel back and forth, but I'm sure it could be done.

Here is a picture of the test fit that shows off the blue threading.

http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2353

After test fitting it, I put on the double sided tape, following the instructions to apply it and each clock position (6 o'clock first, then 3 and 9, then 12), use the plastic tool to push the leather under the trim, and then stick the rest of the tape.

Here is a picture after doing the 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. At this point I could tell it was going to look amazing.

http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2361

I then started stitching the top section first. I didn't want to run out of thread half way through so I used a VERY long length of thread that kept getting knotted up. Halfway through I estimated how much I would need and ended up cutting off more than half of what was left.

Here is a picture of the top stitched up.

http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2377

I finished up the bottom ends fairly quickly.

Here it is all stitched.

http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2385

And here is the final product mounted in the car.

http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2393

The cover feels absolutely amazing. The blue thread matches the iA'
s blue stitching perfectly. It doesn't feel or look cheap in the slightest and it is a huge improvement over the stock rubbery wheel. The whole process took about 4 hours including figuring out how to take off the steering wheel. About 3 hours of putting the cover on and stitching it up.

If you like the look of it, I would highly recommend it. It was hard to resist getting it overnighted from Amazon, but the blue thread customization was worth the wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
It actually really reminds me of the Scion FRS steerign wheel, except with buttons. Oh and blue stitching of course.

·
Registered
370 Posts
very nice upgrade, looks OEM, it should be OEM. In addition to that adding blue pinstriping to other parts of the interior is what I would do, and even that will look OEM... of course in a good way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a scale from 1-10, how much of a pain was it to remove the steering wheel? It's typically just the one bolt and disconnecting the harness for the buttons and airbag correct?

·
Registered
401 Posts
On a scale from 1-10, how much of a pain was it to remove the steering wheel? It's typically just the one bolt and disconnecting the harness for the buttons and airbag correct?
I think you have to get a special steering wheel removal tool. But fortunately you can rent those. It might not be the case here but from past experience that's what I had to do. Easy, just takes time. Might be easier with the iA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In difficulty, I would say removing the steering wheel is about a 4-6. Everybody can do it, but it can get frustrating and scary to use that much force (even though it is perfectly fine to do so!) You do NOT need a special tool. I found a guide on youtube that explains how to do it. All you need is a thin, long (not too long! It has to be able to be put in without hitting the instrument cluster) screwdriver and your lug nut wrench that is included near your spare tire. Do a google image search for "Mazda 3 steering wheel removal" and you will see plenty of relevant images.

First things first, remove the negative lead to your battery! I have heard that some people have caused their air bags to go off from messing with the connector, although I don't see how that would be very easy. I removed the battery lead mostly to prevent any kind of errors popping up on the car, but always good to be safe. Remember to get your wrench out of your trunk before you unplug the battery! You cannot easily get into your trunk without your battery. I figured this out the hard way :p

There are three holes in the back of your steering wheel that you insert the screwdriver into. You are trying to press against a plastic spring loaded latch that holds the air bag to the front of the steering wheel. It can take quite a while to get the hang of it at first and figure you what you are trying to press against, but once you get it you can do it again pretty easy (I know this because I couldn't remember if I pressed down on the airbag connector latches just as I put the airbag back on, so I had to pop it back off).

The best way to do this is to do the bottom hole first. It is the easiest one to do as the hole is much smaller and guides the screwdriver right to the latch. Then just put some force behind it and it will pop the bottom of the air bag off. Repeat the same thing on the left and right holes. You will need to turn your steering wheel so that the hole is facing up to be able to access it. I can post pictures if somebody needs more help.

Next remove the air bag connectors. Use a flat head screwdriver to pop up the black plastic connector lockers. Don't worry if they pop off, they go back in easily. Remove the ground terminal by pulling it away from the tab. Now you can set your air bag somewhere safe. Now unplug the media connectors from the steering column.

Now you need to make sure that you get your wheels as straight as possible. Turn the wheel so that it is straight. This will make it easier to put back on in the right position. Use your lug nut wrench to remove the big bolt in the center that holds your steering wheel on, and you are done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
After several months...

Hi Nwndarkness,

I was wondering how the steering wheel cover was holding up after several months of use? I'm considering following your lead and purchasing one after seeing how well yours looks.

Has anyone else purchased a steering wheel cover for their IA?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts