Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven?t been on here in a while being that I don?t own an iA anymore, but my mother has one and she?s having all sorts of issues... it?s a 2016 she?s had about a year that has 51k miles, and I?ll give a list of the issues...
Fuel door latch broken for the third time, now out of warranty
Parking brake randomly disengages, replaced cable 3x under warranty after the cable snapped
On its third trans (6 spd manual) and having issues with this one too, grinding going into gears, chugging in second, whining when cold in third, stalling while driving in sixth at highway speeds, pops out of reverse
Window motors- replaced both rear motors once, front passenger twice and front drivers 4x, they worked but started making lots of grinding noises, luckily no issue out of warranty yet
Door handles- rear interior handles keep breaking, replaced cables 7x on left 5x on right under warranty, right is broken again but out of warranty
Seat height slips down completely after about an hour after being raised all the way, started after warranty
Front end- worn out spring on passenger side, CV axle bad, leaking brake line, and bad wheel hub already
Clutch slave cylinder- first one lasted 35k and they told her it needed a clutch, I fixed it and have replaced it twice since then too
The car chugs for the first hour of driving after filling the gas tank, doesn?t matter if it sits over night or how much idling is done, and doesn?t do it if gas is added only does it when tank is filled, it?s done this since 15k miles but dealer can?t replicate it so they won?t fix it
Light bulbs seem to go out all the time, I?ve replaced all exterior lights at least once for her already
Peeling finish on rims
She replaced the tires at 36k and the new ones aren?t wearing evenly, she got an alignment with the tires and has had it checked and the tires rebalanced with no change
One key stopped working
Car needed to be jump started twice on hot days after sitting for a few hours, battery is fine and there was no electric draw when it died those times
Radio has been replaced twice and stopped working yesterday but is out of warranty
Dash takes a minute to turn on when the gas tank is under 1/4 full
A/C stops blowing when the car isn?t moving
Rear view camera doesn?t work when it?s hot out and the car is parked in the sun for a few hours

That?s all I know of and remember, has anyone else had these issues? She?s going to file for the lemon law buy back thing soon, she?s had way too many issues for a new car. I know there?s more issues but I just don?t know them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds to me like someone who treats her car too roughly.
She drives like an old lady the car is just falling apart, and with such low miles on such a new car it doesn?t matter how she drives it shouldn?t have all these issues, a few I could understand and blame on driver error, but so many in such little time is just insane. I put 70k on my civic and redlined the engine half the time, I beat that car to death and it had less issues. And it was 16 years old with 40k when I bought it. The iA (or at least her iA and mine) is just a garbage car. Maybe it?s just first model year issues and the new ones are better, maybe it?s just a few and both my mother and I got unlucky, whatever it is it?s not like all of these issues even could be driver error.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So mine has 8,000 miles on it in three months. I never buy a manual car too many issues imo in the states with our stretch of roads auto is the best bet. I?ve had two issues the passenger window when about to close back up make a metal noise and my trunk light is moving around in the trunk so I have no light in there. Other than that I use it as a commuter 6 days a week so I don?t mess about with it a lot as a family car and seems to be mostly in tact. But as for your suspension issues has she hit and curbs or driven over pot holes. These are light weight ?cheap? cars and have to be babied to get the most out of them. If she drives like she stole it and use every square inch of the car the corolla is a tested and true car for her needs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So mine has 8,000 miles on it in three months. I never buy a manual car too many issues imo in the states with our stretch of roads auto is the best bet. I?ve had two issues the passenger window when about to close back up make a metal noise and my trunk light is moving around in the trunk so I have no light in there. Other than that I use it as a commuter 6 days a week so I don?t mess about with it a lot as a family car and seems to be mostly in tact. But as for your suspension issues has she hit and curbs or driven over pot holes. These are light weight ?cheap? cars and have to be babied to get the most out of them. If she drives like she stole it and use every square inch of the car the corolla is a tested and true car for her needs.
She lives on a dirt road but she?s not far from pavement (maybe 2 miles?) and she doesn?t drive fast off pavement, maybe 20-25 mph at the most...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own a 2016 manual iA and I have had no issues thus far aside from some slight rattles in the interior of the cabin. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts