Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rear end seems way too high for my tastes. I'd love to lower it over all or at least even her out. Are we still too new or do we have to buy Mazda parts?
My Google searching has turned up nothing so far

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pretty much too new as of now. RSR has a few products (springs and coil overs) in the works, but nothing for sale yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah there are a couple of resellers that put the 2016 Mazda 2 in with the previous gen models, but no one (I know of)has actually tested it (Yet). There were a good bit of changes between the 2011-2015 Mazda2 and the 2016 model, so I'm not sure what is all cross compatible. I have looked at the shocks and I know they aren't the same part number as the 2011-15 Mazda2, but that may be just a slightly different valving in the same shock body.

Anyway, I am hoping someone will want to take the plunge and try the older 2 stuff on the iA. I am close to doing it, but saving for wheels and tires first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pretty much too new as of now. RSR has a few products (springs and coil overs) in the works, but nothing for sale yet.
I inquired to RSR a few days ago and they responded saying to keep an eye out within the month. So apparently they have something in the works. They're doing testing on AutoTuned's iA so that's good news!

Yeah there are a couple of resellers that put the 2016 Mazda 2 in with the previous gen models, but no one (I know of)has actually tested it (Yet). There were a good bit of changes between the 2011-2015 Mazda2 and the 2016 model, so I'm not sure what is all cross compatible. I have looked at the shocks and I know they aren't the same part number as the 2011-15 Mazda2, but that may be just a slightly different valving in the same shock body.

Anyway, I am hoping someone will want to take the plunge and try the older 2 stuff on the iA. I am close to doing it, but saving for wheels and tires first.
I'm so close to just ordering the Eibach Pro-Kit Mazda 2 springs... How similar are the 2015 vs 2016 models?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm so close to just ordering the Eibach Pro-Kit Mazda 2 springs... How similar are the 2015 vs 2016 models?

Yeah I have had that thought about doing that, too.

I had a 2011 Mazda2 and a lot of this car looks similar underneath. However, this (2016 iA/Mazda2) is a new generation, based on the SKYACTIV platform (that includes motor, transmission, and chassis design). Problem is, I haven't seen anybody actually compare the two vehicles mechanically to see what is the same and what isn't.

So basically, you will be doing research on whether or not this works.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just thought i would throw this out if anyone is interested. Not lowering springs, per say, but I found a set of height adjustable coilovers that would be likely to work on the Scion iA. Tein USA allows to special order their "Street Basis" Coilovers (Part Num: GSMC2-11AS2) for $750 that were made for the latest gen Demio (aka Mazda2). Note that the DJ chassis Demio(which is the model Mazda2 that our iA is based off) started in Japan in Oct 2014 model year.

Go here: http://www.tein.com/srch/us_search.php
Choose Mazda ---> Demio ---> 2014.10 and the part (above) should pop up.

Now it specifically mentions the DJ5FS Chassis, which I think is referring to the Hatchback (not Sedan), however I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is much difference in the suspension between the two, and appears to be less than 100lbs difference in weight. Also note, these coilovers are more for comfort than performance, according to their blurb: "THE SETTING IS MAINLY FOCUSED ON REMEDYING THE ORIGINAL CAR'S STIFF RIDE WHEN GOING OVER GAPS AT LOW SPEED. STABILITY AND RIDE COMFORT ARE WELL BALANCED, WITH MILDER-THAN-ORIGINAL SETTING FOR LOW-SPEED DRIVING ON STREETS AND WITH ADEQUATE SUPPRESSING FEEL FOR MID-TO-HIGH-SPEED DRIVING."

Just thought id share. Hopefully more iA (or at least sedan) specific options soon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would assume you can use anything that is compatible with the Mazda2. Ask to make sure about generations but other than that you should be good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would assume you can use anything that is compatible with the Mazda2. Ask to make sure about generations but other than that you should be good.
Yes I imagine so, as long as you stay with parts made for the 2014+ Demio (Japan) or 2015+ Mazda2 (known as the DJ chassis). The more I'm reading, Though, I am pretty sure that previous gen Mazda2 stuff (including the 2011-2015 Mazda2 in USA) is not going to work on our cars. The previous gen Mazda 2 (known as DE chassis) was built on a Ford chassis (same as Fiesta) while the newest gen (DJ - same as iA) is built on a modified CX-5 chassis (according to Wikipedia).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also, the Tanabe springs specifically for the iA are now shown on their website and should be available for purchase. They seem to focus on maintaining comfort while lowering tastefully. Im thinking of ordering them, but deciding if I want a stiffer spring or not.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/nf210.asp?id=2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, the Tanabe springs specifically for the iA are now shown on their website and should be available for purchase. They seem to focus on maintaining comfort while lowering tastefully. Im thinking of ordering them, but deciding if I want a stiffer spring or not.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/nf210.asp?id=2
Here's what the iA looks like lowered on the Tanabe springs (about 1/1.4" drop)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts