Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new silver iA manual. So far so good. Love the car. Originally was divided whether to get corolla le for not much more money as 20.2k LE had 2k off at one large dealership perhaps to attract new 2016 civic buyers. So at 18k that corolla le competes with 17k automatic iA. But I was looking for fun to drive subcompact with stick for commute purposes only. I have a glk250 for family duties. I dont need backseat or trunk but they are nice to have. Halogen lights are weak but let's keep that for another discussion.

My main issue is sometimes I am not able to get the car off to smooth start. It occasionally will want to jerk and buck back and forth starting from 1st and after shifting into 2nd. Happens probably in stop and creep traffic and/or up incline. I am not positive it occurs only on uphill. I test drove a mazda 2 back in the day and I don't recall this behavior then. This sedan version seems to be very finicky about 1st and 2nd unless I goose the throttle slowly or if it is in down incline. Again not sure about that either.

Perhaps I wasnt quick enough to get on the gas or was too gentle on the gas. I am thinking this is not related to clutch biting incorrectly as it happens right after clutch is let off. Am thinking perhaps revmatching isn't the issue. May be I am not quick enough to get on the gas as resistance on engine builds after flywheel locks in to tranny with cluthpack.

Still early days so hoping it will go away as I get more used to it. I have had it for about 4 days so far. I like everything about this car and there are no issues once momentum builds so it gets buttery smooth shifting from 2 nd onwards to higher gears. Overall this manual will make even novices look like pros and that too without hill assist thanks in part to high bite point. Virtually impossible to stall it even for someone who never drove manuals.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My main issue is sometimes I am not able to get the car off to smooth start. It occasionally will want to jerk and buck back and forth starting from 1st and after shifting into 2nd. Happens probably in stop and creep traffic and/or up incline. I am not positive it occurs only on uphill. I test drove a mazda 2 back in the day and I don't recall this behavior then. This sedan version seems to be very finicky about 1st and 2nd unless I goose the throttle slowly or if it is in down incline. Again not sure about that either.

Still early days so hoping it will go away as I get more used to it. I have had it for about 4 days so far.
Welcome and congrats! I also drive a Sterling iA (manual), used to drive a 2011 Mazda 2, and might can weight in on this a bit.

My experience: yes, low speed can be jerky under two scenarios (that I have seen). First is during shifting. This is usually caused by either not applying enough gas when shifting, or letting off the clutch two quickly. Both of these will come with time of driving the car. You will learn the sweet spots.

The other scenario is due to the transition from power (throttle) on to power off. I notice this most while moving slowly in gear in traffic. This "bucking" is exacerbated by the soft motor mounts that Mazda put in place in the iA; the Mazda 2 had the same issue. They use soft mounts to reduce noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) from the engine from entering into the cabin. As the power comes on/off, it twists the engine, moving within the soft mounts, and creating a jerky feeling. To reduce this in the Mazda 2, I used some 60A Urethane to fill the rear motor mount. This reduced the movement of the engine, while not increasing NVH substantially. While the iA is a bit better than the 2 was, I have contemplated doing the same on the iA (and probably will). I haven't looked at the rear engine mount yet, to see if it can easily be done.

Hope that helps somewhat! I imagine I will be wanting to fill the engine mount as autocross season gets more in full swing; I will be sure and add a post about it if I do.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With these set to be some high volume vehicle for the brand and the good chance of other Mazda products using the same motor mount type, there might be an aftermarket set that shows up which could address this issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With these set to be some high volume vehicle for the brand and the good chance of other Mazda products using the same motor mount type, there might be an aftermarket set that shows up which could address this issue.
It's possible. My only thought about that is that the 1.5L hasn't been in any other US spec car, and the block size is different between the 1.5L and 2.0 skyactive (as they are scaled). So I would assume it would require a different size mount.

But who knows? Worth a shot if you don't wanna fill it yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used some 60A Urethane to fill the rear motor mount. This reduced the movement of the engine, while not increasing NVH substantially. While the iA is a bit better than the 2 was, I have contemplated doing the same on the iA (and probably will). I haven't looked at the rear engine mount yet, to see if it can easily be done.
Nice! Did it improve the action of the clutch/shifting? I really hate how imprecise and wobbly the clutch/drivetrain assembly seems to be. I think some of this is due to the motor mounts themselves.

Drive a 1998 Nissan Maxima before this.. boy, was that fun with a stick shift.. this car.. not so much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The car used to be 12,000 dollars in most markets idk why the upcharge so much now...projector headlights? Lol but that's why you see cost cutting a lot like the new jettas 😝

1 - 7 of 7 Posts