Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You don't need me to tell you that Scions first sedan isn't actually THEIR first sedan, its a Mazda. Good, great and wonderful, moving on this is excellent news not just for product dry Scion, but for independent and cash poor Mazda.

While the styling is certainly a point of contention, the Scion brand has never had a distinct design language regardless, Mazda does build sporty and engaging cars to drive which squares with Scion brand mission.

Internally there's noting Toyota about this Scion. The iA uses Mazda's 1.5L 4 cylinder, good for 106 bhp, routed through a 5 speed manual or 6 speed automatic. Scion supposes the iA will pull down 42 mpg (highway probably but not specified).

Suspension is again decidedly Mazda, MAcPherson in the front, torsion beam in the rear...but the car weighs less than 2,500 lbs with either gear box. Rear brakes are drums, with no upgrade option. Complexity need not apply.

Scion will offer the iA in monospec for a digestible $16,000, whether that prooves a better buy then the Mazda proper is yet to be seen, but do expect a healthy selection of accessories in stores.

·
Registered
401 Posts
While it would have been nice to see something uniquely Scion and not a vehicle from another car makers rebadged as a Scion, fact is they needed this, they need strong or stronger volume models to better establish themselves to then justify taking on higher risk ventures... maybe the 2nd generation iA will be THEIR sedan?

·
Registered
370 Posts
what are the chances we'll see a Scion iA decked out in Five Axis parts?

that has been the trend with them and those iA-specific areo bits will help to make it fit the scion profile a slight bit better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Toyota and Mazda are getting even cozier. Fuel Cells for SkyActiv

The sources also said Mazda has been trying to develop fuel cell vehicles on its own, but it decided to team up with Toyota, which builds the Mirai mass-market fuel-cell car. Toyota is betting on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as it believes they offer the most promising zero-emission alternative to conventional cars since they have a similar driving range and refueling time.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/to...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Carscoop+(CARSCOOPS)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Using that tech in compact and mid-sized sedans will do them well especially as those segments and surrounding segments are getting more competitive than ever with MPG ratings.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using that tech in compact and mid-sized sedans will do them well especially as those segments and surrounding segments are getting more competitive than ever with MPG ratings.
This is the extent that the two were willing to admit this morning

The two Japanese automakers will set up a joint committee that will evaluate ways to utilize each other’s strengths, according to a joint press release issued Toyota and Mazda today. The partnership will result in “more appealing cars,” they said, without elaborating.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nds-tie-up-with-mazda-to-share-car-technology

·
Registered
401 Posts
If this partnership eventually brings a Scion iA EV to market, I will trade up in an instant.
You'll be waiting a long time, possibly next generation.

With the MPG's it gets with Mazda's 1.5 mated to a 6-speed automatic, it will have a long "shelf life"

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this partnership eventually brings a Scion iA EV to market, I will trade up in an instant.
probabaly not, but you might see a Mazda 86 or possibly a Scion badged Mazda3... (which Toyota IS helping to hybridize)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mazda 86.... they already have the Miata, no need.

But a Scion Mazda3 or just a Mazda-based Scion sedan that sits above the iA is what I can actually see happening, a volume model that fits the Scion portfolio.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not so sure about a Scion EV but I do think that we will see some Mazda fuel cell vehicles in the future. Toyota was probably happy to share that technology to help it proliferate more which will encourage more infrastructure to be built.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mazda 86.... they already have the Miata, no need.

But a Scion Mazda3 or just a Mazda-based Scion sedan that sits above the iA is what I can actually see happening, a volume model that fits the Scion portfolio.
THats not true, Mazda has always a true coupe. The Miata is a great roadster but always suffered because it was only a roadster.

I'm better the MAzda/Toyota tie up is the reason the media is bzzing about this baby 86.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very true, the closest they ever got was with a hard top.

Mazda coming out with a true sports coupe will do wonders for them and Toyota, possibly having real success, sustained success, unlike the 86/BRZ which only lasted for so long.

·
Registered
370 Posts
More speculation on the Toyota/Mazda tie up. Looks like Toyota will recieve Mazda skyActiv diesels to drop into its compacts in Europe, Mazda will get PHEV technology. As the well the two are supposed to be working on a diesel hybrid CUV based on the Prius....

http://paultan.org/2015/06/08/toyota-mazda-prius-skyactiv-diesel-suv-ev/
Was always wondering when Toyota would get into diesels like that. Partnering up with Mazda to use their diesels instead of developing their own probably saved hundreds of millions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts