Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I think its an interesting question, if not a valid observation.Mazda says that their decision to forego the 2 for the US market was made from cheap gasoline and tight supply from their Salamanca, Mexico facility. Senior VP of US Ops Robert Davis laid it out to Autonews. "We could have had it, but we would have had a number that didn't make much sense with 600 dealers and with the marketing it takes to launch a new car," he said. "I wanted to allocate resources to those products that make us and our dealers considerably more profit than a Mazda2 does."

Now no one is quite sure how many Scion dealers exist outside of Toyota, but the consensus seems to be around 1,000 of Toyotas 1,225 US dealers. So Mazda doesn't see enough supply to service 600 dealers, yet Toyota is comfortable servicing ~1,000?

In 2014 Mazda sold 13,615 Mazda 2's, roughly 24% of Scions total volume last year. IF Scion is to move near that number of iA's (which I see entirely possible, they moved ~16K xB's, ~18K tC's, ~14K FR-S' in 2014) They're looking at moving ~14 cars per dealer.

Now the secret may lie in fuel prices. Mazda passed on the new 2 because of lower fuel costs. The Mazda 2 rode the wave of high pump prices to modest success over the last 4 years. BUT Scion has the advantage of being viewed as a value brand. While shoppers may of piled into the Mazda 2 because they were running from their fuel bill, Scion doesn't suffer as badly from the elasticity of fuel costs as badly as Mazda does, in my opinion that is.

While Mazda may not have faith, Scion has plenty of hope their new runabout will prosper regardless of prices at the pump. Now the question is, can Mazda supply them with enough cars?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Worked out beautifully for Scion.

No need to worry about folks possibly getting a Mazda2 instead.

Who knows, maybe next year we'll see Mazda slot the M2 in after they see what sales volume in this market is like.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Its an interesting situation because both brands seem to think that they got the better end of the bargain. Only time will tell how things pan out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worked out beautifully for Scion.

No need to worry about folks possibly getting a Mazda2 instead.

Who knows, maybe next year we'll see Mazda slot the M2 in after they see what sales volume in this market is like.
maybe, but if supply is already that tight...

·
Registered
422 Posts
At least at first, won't Scion have to also contend with the discounted Mazda2s that are left at Mazda dealerships?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least at first, won't Scion have to also contend with the discounted Mazda2s that are left at Mazda dealerships?
Not really, from what I've read to this point the old supply is completely exhausted. Up until what, September/October we had the highest gas prices on record last year. Like I said in OP that was the prime selling factor of the 2. Mazda has been tight on supply since last year AFAIK...

·
Registered
370 Posts
At least that is out of the way, might be a small percentage of folks that go out and buy a used one but aside from that seems like it's all scion going forward.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So how many iAs do you think Scion will be able to sell in its first year? I am guessing less than Mazda because of gas prices and also having a Scion nameplate instead of Mazda.

< 10,000 in my opinion. Maybe around 7,000 - 8,000.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So how many iAs do you think Scion will be able to sell in its first year? I am guessing less than Mazda because of gas prices and also having a Scion nameplate instead of Mazda.

< 10,000 in my opinion. Maybe around 7,000 - 8,000.

If that's all they sell, the iA will be a disaster. Wow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They probably know that but considering the long haul, over time as gas prices increase it should gain traction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where I live gas prices are already close to $3/gallon so I don't know why they are claiming cheap gas. I think ultimately it came down to supply constraints and necessity for the partnership with Toyota. Honestly I feel like the iA is a better car than the mazda2 sedan, with split folding seats and extra rear passenger room.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where I live gas prices are already close to $3/gallon so I don't know why they are claiming cheap gas. I think ultimately it came down to supply constraints and necessity for the partnership with Toyota. Honestly I feel like the iA is a better car than the mazda2 sedan, with split folding seats and extra rear passenger room.
REALLY? I thought gas was cheaper in Louisiana because you're so close to all the Gulf refineries...

I'm not sure Scion added anything to the Mazda 2 beyond badges and a blunt nose. Or are you talking about the difference between the new Mazda 2 and the old one?

·
Registered
31 Posts
REALLY? I thought gas was cheaper in Louisiana because you're so close to all the Gulf refineries...

I'm not sure Scion added anything to the Mazda 2 beyond badges and a blunt nose. Or are you talking about the difference between the new Mazda 2 and the old one?
The iA is different from the 2016 mazda2 sedan, it has more rear passenger room, split-folding seats, and a larger trunk.

There are other differences too, but finding information on this car is extremely hard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The iA is different from the 2016 mazda2 sedan, it has more rear passenger room, split-folding seats, and a larger trunk.

There are other differences too, but finding information on this car is extremely hard.
More room comes to my surprise, I didn't think they had THAT much different going on.

At least we know the iM is going to be MUCH better positioned in its segment with things like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More room comes to my surprise, I didn't think they had THAT much different going on.

At least we know the iM is going to be MUCH better positioned in its segment with things like that.
The iM is actually an incredible car for the money, I expect it to be Scion's sales leader. The iA is more like the undercover star, amazing if you know what you're looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm skeptical that Scion would have changed that much -- where did you read this? The link above does not mention such a change.
The official specs of the mazda2 sedan for other markets is 4320mm in length, which translates to 170 inches. The official scion iA spec sheet lists it as 171.7 inches. Also the scion iA uses a different exhaust manifold which takes up less space.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts